Forums are back in action! ×

Switching from gaming to the game of real life

Hi everyone, I'm Zack, going through a period of big changes in my life and this community seems to line up exactly with the new mindset I'm trying to achieve.

For my whole life I have been an avid game player, from national level Halo tournaments to endless hours WoW raiding and just plowing through countless games on the side, it was the main part of my life all through high school and university. It was the thing I was always "good at", and due to the lifestyle that can lead to, I was someone who was convinced that was all I really could be good at, and so I never had the confidence in myself to really try and achieve things in real life (academics, fitness, social, etc..). I was content with that being my main skill when I was 12, but it becomes increasingly less satisfying with every passing year.

I had been beginning to break away from this mindset by having a good social life at my university, but I was never happy with who I was as a person, I felt like I was holding myself back. The big change happened 4 months ago, when I broke up with my long term girlfriend and accepted a 6 month internship in Dublin to finish my masters degree. I decided this would be a new beginning for me, a point to restart everything I didn't like about my life. If I could apply the same amount of effort and dedication I had for games to myself, I was sure I could make positive changes.

I quit video games and TV shows cold turkey completely (except GOT, come on), forced myself to go out all the time meet new people and try new things, get involved in my work and get into better shape. It has been going quite well, about a month ago I found this website and switched to a paleo type diet which lines up perfectly with what I realize I enjoy eating, and I feel fantastic. That plus 2 bodyweight workouts per week has already made a difference, and even though I'm still far from where I want to be, what's great is this feeling that what I want to achieve is totally doable if I commit to it. Things that I had always just written off as being impossible for me (anything needing physical strength and flexibility like parkour), now seem like something I just need to train towards.

This vision of "leveling up my life" has led to an amazing 4 months, but I want to set bigger objectives and achieve more things. This process and change of mindset about my own capabilities is finally helping to build and repair my self confidence which has always been an issue, and I'm optimistic about the future if I can continue down this path.

I'm trying to set up a list of goals and objectives both for my life and future, but also short term in fitness and strength.I look forward to being part of this community and moving forward to see how much of a better me I can grow into.

Welcome, Ultrablaze!  I'm a "recovering gamer" myself!  :)  (Although I hear we of the Old Guard are now referred to as "counter-pushers.")  The first changes you've encountered  will no doubt fuel your drive to embrace even more -- as the saying goes, nothing succeeds like success.  Going "low carb"/Paleo was a breakthrough for me!  (Also changing my eating periodicity to two meals a day.)  Experimentation with one's body can be game-like.  Enjoy!  --Tombo

Human ... Guinea Pig

"Discovery requires experimentation."  -- Dr. Werner Reinhardt, HYDRA.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/67455-legio-ix-aux-equus-albus-ludus/

Welcome aboard. I didn't even know national level Halo was a thing. You already come to the rebellion with a good head start, I look forward to seeing what you will achieve.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath