Forums are back in action! ×

Soo... Here's My Intro

I'm new to Nerd Fitness. Been lurking for a while and even posted in a couple of places. I figured since I'm going to pose a question or two, that I should introduce myself.

I'm engineer in the automated testing space of appliance manufacturing. I was a nuclear sailor for nine years where at one time, I was fit. A compound tib-fib and subsequent sedentary lifestyle changed that.

At the beginning of the year, I weighed 300 pounds. I was pre-hypertensive, pre-diabetic, and had high cholesterol. At 40 years old, I was staring down a litany of health issues if I kept on keepin' on. My doc even started talking about blood pressure medication. 

I didn't want that. I decided to try to fix my issues naturally. I figured I got myself there and I could get myself out. 

I changed my diet and began exercising. At first, I eliminated foods rich in sodium, which also eliminated a lot of processed foods and sugary carbs. I started pounding out steady state cardio. I really had little clue, I just knew I had to change.

I hooked with a friend who is a pro MMA fighter. He introduced me to the Tabata protocol. It was amazeballs! My heart health began improving so very rapidly. He also introduced me to the concept of macros. 

By early May, my blood pressure had returned to normal as did my blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Today, I weighed in at 250. And I feel great!!! I weigh less now than I did when I got out of the Navy and I'm trending back to the level of fitness I was at when I reported to my first submarine. 

I'm no longer doing cardio alone. Since I've lost a lot of body fat, nearly 6% by my estimates using DOD formula, I've decided to start working on strength. I'm working StrongLifts.com 5x5 plan and doing a Tabata protocol cardio session after each lifting session. Every lifting session, I increase my weight and to my surprise I'm pushing it right up.

My goal was never to look good. I am admittedly vain and wasn't really that concerned about how my physique looked. I did it for health. But man, the body image improvement is real.

So anyway, there you have it. I'm learning my way around this place. Reading articles and forum posts and gleaning a lot of knowledge. I look forward to more of it.