Forums are back in action! ×

Hi All,

I am a 23 year old engineer working in Ocean City, NJ. I have never been able to maintain a workout routine. In high school, I was plagued by lyme disease and pinched a nerve in my shoulder (twice!), but I had enough general movement that I was able to maintain a healthy weight and worried mostly about being underweight. In college, I gave up sports (decided to focus on schoolwork and developing my social skills), but I walked everywhere. Now, as an "adult", I live a relatively sedentary lifestyle and travel somewhat frequently for work. Because of stress, I rapidly gained 15ish lbs, and find myself stuck.

My short term goal is to compete in a triathlon in 2012. I have one picked out (my dad will be doing it with me) in May (I think), so I need to get my butt in gear and begin!

I also love adventure - and as such, I will be competing in the Ragnar Relay Florida Keys event in a few weeks.

Sounds great to do it with your Dad. I do races with my parents who are better runners than I am. There are also father-son relays and other family events. It's a way of connecting with them forging memories together. Welcome and I look fwd to reading how it goes for you.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I don't have a training plan. I've never really trained for anything (hooray for natural athleticism!) so I'm a bit out of my depth with training plans. I've looked at a bunch online and bought a bunch of books, but haven't really found anything that has called to me. I have found that most novice programs move too slowly and intermediate programs too quickly.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Hahaha I have a bizarre relationship with food. I'm a craving eater - so if I can't find something that sparks my craving... I don't eat. Clearly unhealthy. When I do eat, I tend to do small meals about every four hours or so. I'm trying to change that, but I find that a lot of the literature is all-or-nothing and frankly, overwhelming... and I, at least right now, cannot do that and stay sane (I am of the opinion that Grilled Cheeses should be a food group). Plus, I'm not 100% sure that I am ingesting a sufficient quantity of calories.

you should try to track what you eat - at least for a couple weeks - to see if you are in fact eating enough. from everything i've heard, it's not bad to eat small meals - alot of people recommend that. you also want to pay attention to what you are eating - junk vs actual food, etc. grilled cheese won't kill you but i wouldn't eat it 3 meals a day either.