Forums are back in action! ×

A Song of Ice and Fire

All I can say is don't be intimidated by the size, don't skip chapters for characters you don't like, and try your best not to develop "one more page" syndrome, because you will read upwards of 700 pages in one sitting, lose sleep, and go hungry if you don't keep it in check.

All I can say is don't be intimidated by the size, don't skip chapters for characters you don't like, and try your best not to develop "one more page" syndrome, because you will read upwards of 700 pages in one sitting, lose sleep, and go hungry if you don't keep it in check.

I am terrible at the "one more page" syndrome. If I find a book that I enjoy, the rest of my life pretty much goes on auto-pilot until i'm done with it.

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

I am terrible at the "one more page" syndrome. If I find a book that I enjoy, the rest of my life pretty much goes on auto-pilot until i'm done with it.

-S

Heh, I predict you'll read the books in one sitting. Every chapter changes the point of view, cycling between characters...and most end on a semi-cliffhanger. So it might be a couple hundred pages before you find out what happened next.

Great books. I'll be signing up for HBO again purely for this show. I haven't had HBO since they cancelled Deadwood.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I just started Game of Thrones a few weeks back. Anyone whose read it, does the series get better? I can't say I'm loving it so far, and I'm on the fence on whether or not to keep going forward with it. Though I've been checking up on the other ones and they do sound more interesting.

I think my biggest problem is there's too many characters. It's nice to see the different points of view, but I think I'd like it more with just one, or a few, points of view, rather than so many.

I just started Game of Thrones a few weeks back. Anyone whose read it, does the series get better? I can't say I'm loving it so far, and I'm on the fence on whether or not to keep going forward with it. Though I've been checking up on the other ones and they do sound more interesting.

I think my biggest problem is there's too many characters. It's nice to see the different points of view, but I think I'd like it more with just one, or a few, points of view, rather than so many.

There's a lot of setup...I found it to be a bit slow as well the first time I read it.

My theory is that with the changing POV, he wanted to firmly establish the minor details up front, because it soon becomes an avalanche of action.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

There's a lot of setup...I found it to be a bit slow as well the first time I read it.

My theory is that with the changing POV, he wanted to firmly establish the minor details up front, because it soon becomes an avalanche of action.

Avalanche of Action - great expression.

-S

Rebel Leader. I post videos of my dog on Instagram, and sometimes even share fitness wisdom. SOMETIMES.

My favorite fantasy series ever, which is saying something. If I had to list my favorite characters, I couldn't narrow it down to less than 7 (and Steve, you will gasp to hear one of them is Jaime Lannister. You have no idea how awesome he gets).

So excited for HBO series. I hear they're aiming for the same level of production, acting and plot as Rome. Couple that with the fact the GRRM is going to be writing an episode every season (because he needed another excuse to not finish Dance of Dragons. Sigh.), and it should rock to a factor of 1000.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins