Forums are back in action! ×

Leveling up my bard skills

Hey everyone,

As part of my effort to finally do the things I always thought I couldn't do, I've decided to begin leveling up my music abilities. I have always loved artists like Johnny Cash and Stan Rogers, and I realized I have always dreamed about being able to play and sing some of their simple songs correctly.
My singing is average, and I'll work on that at some point, but the first big step is learning acoustic guitar which I'm trying to find time for on a regular basis.

I'm coming from a 0 musical knowledge background, trying to learn what I can from the internet, and playing a lot of yousician which I really enjoy because it clicks with my gaming / guitar hero past. Has anyone used this with any success? I'm considering getting a premium account.

Does anyone have any experience learning guitar or another instrument on their own this way? Any tips or advice? If anyone is familiar with yousician, I'm moving steadily down the "lead guitar path", but I suck hard at the "rythm" side. Basically forming chords and strumming properly are my main issues (kind of important haha).
I'm considering trying to take a couple starter guitar lessons so I can make sure I'm not forming bad habits, like holding the guitar/pick in a bad way, and maybe some pointers on how to strum correctly. Ideally someone I know could give me these pointers, but I don't really know any musicians.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Hey everyone,

As part of my effort to finally do the things I always thought I couldn't do, I've decided to begin leveling up my music abilities. I have always loved artists like Johnny Cash and Stan Rogers, and I realized I have always dreamed about being able to play and sing some of their simple songs correctly.

My singing is average, and I'll work on that at some point, but the first big step is learning acoustic guitar which I'm trying to find time for on a regular basis.

I'm coming from a 0 musical knowledge background, trying to learn what I can from the internet, and playing a lot of yousician which I really enjoy because it clicks with my gaming / guitar hero past. Has anyone used this with any success? I'm considering getting a premium account.

Does anyone have any experience learning guitar or another instrument on their own this way? Any tips or advice? If anyone is familiar with yousician, I'm moving steadily down the "lead guitar path", but I suck hard at the "rythm" side. Basically forming chords and strumming properly are my main issues (kind of important haha).

I'm considering trying to take a couple starter guitar lessons so I can make sure I'm not forming bad habits, like holding the guitar/pick in a bad way, and maybe some pointers on how to strum correctly. Ideally someone I know could give me these pointers, but I don't really know any musicians.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

I play guitar and sing and have a couple of Stan Rogers numbers in my repertoire.

People come at music in a number of ways.  I studied piano from the age of 8 and classical guitar starting at age 13, subsequently took performance and theory courses in college and occasional lessons afterward.  So I tend to come at things from the basis of music theory, and got my chops before the internet.  My right-hand rhythm patterns are still weak because it's something I've never studied seriously.

Choose your instructor carefully if you go down that route.  Anyone can claim to be a guitar teacher, but people who truly have the knowledge AND the ability to impart it to others are few and far between

Vocal lessons are important too, tone production is an art and science

Enjoy the walk

Working out regularly since November 2014.  Scoliosis with 100 degree curve in lower back reduces height from 6-4 to 6-1.  245 pounds

Working weights in pounds (7-10 reps)

Overhead press . 80

Bench press. . . 135

Squats . . . . . 185

Deadlift . . . . 295 (x5)

Lat pulldown . . 160

I have been trying to stick to the every single day thing because I know it is important but it is tough. I see no progress so far unlike on my health and fitness side of things.
I'll be away 1 week, back a week, and then away 2 weeks again so that'll probably set me back a fair amount unfortunately... When I get back I'll set a challenge for myself to make sure I spend atleast 5 minutes per day practicing I think, without fail, for a month or 6 weeks.

I really feel awkward strumming, it gets caught on the strings or I am to far away and miss them. Gonna stick with it though, thinking of maybe having a lesson or two in the evenings with a teacher in the area, there are lots in town it seems. Some even do guitar + vocals, could be helpful to get me started with good habits.

I think I also play to quietly because I mostly play at night late or early morning before gym/work, and I'm afraid of waking up my roommates...

My tips: 

Practice every single day.  Every. Single. Day.  Even if it is just 5-10 minutes.

Be bold.  You will suck for a while.  Own it, and keep working on it.  High volume makes you sing/play better, I swear.

Addendum to bolded: Your neighbors may disagree. They are wrong.

• Like 1

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR:2 DEX:0 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:2 CHA:0

Current Challenge

Accountabilibuddies: Adventure into the Verse