Forums are back in action! ×

Looking to uncover the athlete inside

Greetings friends. My name is J. I'm a 45 y/o college professor and department chair (what's nerdier than that?) from Oklahoma. I ran across Ron's story on Flipboard a couple of days ago and discovered NF from there. The story resonated because I, too, have about 100 lbs. to lose. The community resonated because 1) I'm interested in a life change, 2) I don't need  / expect it to happen in 30 days, and 3) I'm a fan of a lot of areas of "nerd culture". 

I have always operated in the dual realities of being athletic, but also overweight. As I've aged, the weight has increasingly impeded the athlete. In fact, as I write this, I am sitting with my leg wrapped and elevated after knee surgery a few days ago, brought on by running and doing other activities with "too much upper body mass"(a fun euphemism from my tactful surgeon). I want the athlete back. So I'm here for accountability, challenge, community, and a venue to chronicle the change. 

I'm looking forward to the journey. 

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Welcome to the rebellion. Of what are you a professor? (It might be English, couldn't end the sentence with a preposition). Diet is 80% of weight loss, which is probably why you've maintained high weight despite physical activity. Looking forward to watching your journey.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks, Tanktimus. I teach Sociology courses, so no proper English required. You're right about the diet part of the journey. My plan is to focus there as I rehab the knee to be ready to be more active when rehab ends. 

• Like 1

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

I'm researching some options. To start, I've committed to a couple of simple eating goals:

• drink the ubiquitous 8 glasses of water a day
  • shrink my eating window to 12 hours a day (8AM - 8 PM)
  • eliminate fast food

Hoping to settle on a plan by next week.