Forums are back in action! ×

No clue if my goals are realistic!

I'm trying to set specific goals for myself that I want to accomplish during 2012. The problem is I have no idea if they're realistic - I don't want to aim too high and set myself up for a frustrating failure, but I don't want to aim too low and not push myself as much as I am capable of doing.

Here is my list of goals as it currently stands:

1. Deadlift 150 pounds by the end of the year (I'm currently at 42)

2. Fit into a size 6 jean at the Gap (I'm currently a 10 but can fit an 8 it's stretchy - if it's not I can't zip it up)

3. Be able to run a 5k without stopping by the end of June.

4. Run a 9-minute mile.

5. Lose 4 inches off my waist and my hips.

What do you think, is that doable? Is it too doable? Any suggestions?

Some of these are probably doable. The trick is, you have no way of knowing which ones. :)

Question for you: If you set a target and miss it, will you beat yourself up about it? Or will you take apart the experience and see what you can learn from it? If the latter, then by all means set goals, whether you think they're realistic or not. Even in the worst case, you'll still get practice at goal-setting.

Also? Realism is for boring people. Walking on the moon was completely unrealistic at one point, but people did it.

The best way to know if your goals are realistic is to try them. If you cannot achieve them, they are not realistic. You can either do your best and not achieve your goal, make a more realistic goal afterwards. Or re evaluate and adjust your current goals.

It can be satisfying after not reaching goals after many many attempts, to finally win. But try and make your re evaluations as realistic as possible.

yeah, it really depends how much time/energy you want to put into each goal and what your starting point is.

a couple suggestions:

1) maybe concentrate on certain goals for certain parts of the year. instead of "i want to run a 5 k by the end of 2012" and "i want to run a 9 minute mile by the end of 2012" maybe work on the first goal for the first x months (depending on your starting point and time/energy you want to put in) and then add the second goal onto the first goal. say you can do the 5k in 4 months. time yourself. how much time do you need to shave off? the goal then becomes "run a 9 minute mile 5k"

2) the clothes/measurement goals are kind of the same. if you lose inches from your waist/hips, the jeans will fit :) focus on the fitness goals (plus a good diet) and the aesthetic goals will come. plus, who cares what size you are? focus on getting to a healthy bf % and weight and it won't matter. a muscular size 10 or a flabby size 6? i'll take the former any day.

Life isn't about hitting targets imho. It's about living your life in a way that makes you happy. You shouldn't tie all your happiness on hitting a goal, but rather on how your going to travel the road to your goals. Make sure you enjoy the view as you walk your road, because this is your life - every minute of it. It starts now, not when you reach your destination. Challenge yourself but enjoy every moment in life. Learn to give all within your capability and constraint of safety every day and you will be happy with your results. If you do your best and cannot be happy, most people would say that there is some sort of disorder.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance