Forums are back in action! ×

Not fitness related but woot

This could be long but I'll make it short. Tonight at work I was blamed for something I didn't do. Of course I just gave a plain ol' "I didn't do it" and was going to leave it at that. The more I thought about it, the more it started to bother me. I thought about how I needed to finally stand up for myself and make myself heard. So, I went back to my boss and asked to speak with him for a moment (the same thing he said to me to chew me out) and began to tell him in a respectful way how I felt under appreciated, insulted, and etc. It must of came as quite a shock because he didn't say much. This is a big deal to me because I'm so shy and don't like making myself stand out a lot. That's all!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Guest guest4729

This could be long but I'll make it short. Tonight at work I was blamed for something I didn't do. Of course I just gave a plain ol' "I didn't do it" and was going to leave it at that. The more I thought about it, the more it started to bother me. I thought about how I needed to finally stand up for myself and make myself heard. So, I went back to my boss and asked to speak with him for a moment (the same thing he said to me to chew me out) and began to tell him in a respectful way how I felt under appreciated, insulted, and etc. It must of came as quite a shock because he didn't say much. This is a big deal to me because I'm so shy and don't like making myself stand out a lot. That's all!

Good, good! Standing up for yourself definitely builds confidence and confidence gives you the power to do bigger and better things. Don't let people walk all over you because then they lose respect for you. By standing up to your boss and respectfully explaining yourself and your situation you proved to him that he can't just blame you for other people's mistakes and that you certainly won't deal with being mistreated. People should be treated with respect - we have feelings, emotions and a lot of issues that other people don't know about.

We actually had to watch this video for work about treating customers with respect because you never know what that person is going through. Maybe they fought cancer and won, maybe they just had a fight with their mother, maybe a relative just died, maybe they lost their job or maybe they had a fight with their spouse - you just don't know what's happening to a person to cause them to act a certain way. It's a great reminder that you should always be the best person YOU can be regardless of what others do.

Good, good! Standing up for yourself definitely builds confidence and confidence gives you the power to do bigger and better things. Don't let people walk all over you because then they lose respect for you. By standing up to your boss and respectfully explaining yourself and your situation you proved to him that he can't just blame you for other people's mistakes and that you certainly won't deal with being mistreated. People should be treated with respect - we have feelings, emotions and a lot of issues that other people don't know about.

We actually had to watch this video for work about treating customers with respect because you never know what that person is going through. Maybe they fought cancer and won, maybe they just had a fight with their mother, maybe a relative just died, maybe they lost their job or maybe they had a fight with their spouse - you just don't know what's happening to a person to cause them to act a certain way. It's a great reminder that you should always be the best person YOU can be regardless of what others do.

@etf Yeah, he was pretty disrespectful the way he went about it. I try to treat everyone with respect though. Also, being rude and telling him off would of done nothing but make it worse.

@awsThanks, this website in combination with working out, has really made me have more confidence. I've really came out of my shell.

That video should be mandatory for every place of work. I like that.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Guest guest4729

@etf Yeah, he was pretty disrespectful the way he went about it. I try to treat everyone with respect though. Also, being rude and telling him off would of done nothing but make it worse.

@awsThanks, this website in combination with working out, has really made me have more confidence. I've really came out of my shell.

That video should be mandatory for every place of work. I like that.

The video almost had me in tears, actually. It was one of those things that really brings up an important issue dealing with respect. Since I'm a waitress I deal with A LOT of people whenever I work and making them have the best experience they can is paramount. However, sometimes people are really miserable or having a bad day and I can tell immediately by how they act. Sometimes I get upset and other times I just try and think about all the days I was feeling the same way.

As a side note, perhaps you can pick up some books on leadership? They might really help you build self confidence. Other than that I would also suggest books that help you find your strengths. For a leadership thing I did on campus we did this strengths quest book and I found that I'm an individualizer, an analyzer, an intellect and I like input. Strengths Quest

Through a leadership conference over the summer I learned that some of my most important beliefs have to do with respect, (cultural) awareness, intelligence and I believe my fourth has something to do with the inclusion of others.

Once you learn how YOU work, you learn to help yourself and those around you.

Now if only those other people could garner a similar level of empathy...

I have lots of friends who work in fast-food/retail, and from what I've heard, the amount of stress that rude customers put on employees >>>> employees not empathizing with a situation you may or may not know about.

Maybe I just know too many people coping with absurd amounts of stress from minimum wage service jobs.

Not to be cynical either, but I'm pretty sure the main reason your work would show a video like that is to put you in that mindset of 'no matter how shitty you feel or a customer is making you feel, plaster a smile on your face. It's ok if you die inside'.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest guest4729

Now if only those other people could garner a similar level of empathy...

I have lots of friends who work in fast-food/retail, and from what I've heard, the amount of stress that rude customers put on employees >>>> employees not empathizing with a situation you may or may not know about.

Maybe I just know too many people coping with absurd amounts of stress from minimum wage service jobs.

Not to be cynical either, but I'm pretty sure the main reason your work would show a video like that is to put you in that mindset of 'no matter how shitty you feel or a customer is making you feel, plaster a smile on your face. It's ok if you die inside'.

Of course that's part of the reason, but it can also be applied to all aspects of life. You don't EVER know what most of the people around you are going through. Most of my friends don't even know that I've been on my own since 17 after my dad died, that I work about 40+ hours a week while going to school or that I pay all of my bills. I don't expect my customers to know that if my friends don't even know that but that doesn't stop the MAJORITY of my customers from giving me the respect I deserve. If you leave me a $5 tip on a $102 bill(actually happened), yes I hate you right now and I'll probably remember your face; however, that isn't going to impede my interactions with my next customers who might leave me a 30% tip on a nice sized bill.

And besides, I know I'm exponentially more awesome than the people who leave crappy tips, so it just makes me feel better about myself since I'm not a d-bag. :D

@ Roos : Yeah I already feel better about it being out in the open. Instead of just letting it stay inside and eventually boil over.

@Bruce : Thank you for saying so, kind sir!

@ebm : Yeah, it felt really amazing and I'm glad I'm not the only one to have trouble with this. He was really kinda shocked I think when I did it. I feel like now maybe I might get a little more respect...probably not but I'll do it again if I have to.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

So....Awesome....that you could find the strength to help yourself out when someone really crossed the line. And that you did it professionally. If a boss acts like that, I don't think a workplace sees it too often. People in an environment are usually floored by true professionals. Getting the point across...and not pissing people off and making countless future awkward moments in the break room?

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

It's been a couple weeks now and things are going a lot better. The boss I had the talk with it still friendly with me and we don't have those awkward encounters. If anything, he is more friendly with tme then he was.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!