Forums are back in action! ×

Wanted: Accountabilibuddies!

So I signed up for the NF Academy just this past Sunday and I am in love! I'm currently on summer holidays so I've been obsessed these past few days working through the philosophy lessons and mindset quests (addictive personality much??)

I'm hoping to find some Accountabilibuddies who I can relate with and to keep me company while we go about our journeys!

I'm a 39 year old mom of one and wife of one (haha). I work almost-full-time at a kickass community health centre.

All in all, I am pretty happy with my life. When the usual life things ail me from time to time just like anyone else, my default is to grit down and grind through it. I don't care much for complaining.

I was never athletic growing up (think: glee club nerd and honour roll). But after reaching a weight loss goal in 2013, I decided to add activity to my life.

Over the last 2.5 years, I'm all about MMA training (boxing, kickboxing, grappling, clinching), strength training & hot yoga. My mini-coach is my 6 year old girl who hangs with me every time I train.

At my peak, I was training upwards to 9 hours a week. Nowadays, my responsibilities as a parent and as a partner, in addition to my two-hour daily commute, has made it harder to devote that much time to just training. At first, this really bummed me out; my training had been a huge part of my identity. But I've come to accept that this is the way it is sometimes and that identities can change and that's totally okay.

Last summer I suffered a severe knee injury during a grappling drill, resulting in two emergency surgeries (injuries: tear of my medial meniscus as well as a complete ACL tear). While being sidelined was one of the hardest things I've experienced, I stayed committed to doing whatever training I could do (upper body & core strength, physio) while I recovered. But it wasn't the same and my conditioning has taken a real back slide. Blurg and le sigh...

This spring I resumed MMA & strength training 1-3 times a week and started regular hot yoga. I am determined to get back to pre-injury condition and better!

But I because I haven't been able to commit to training the way I used to, progress is slow to come. For me, I think it's a mental fitness thing and I will first retrain my resiliency and commitment. And, hence, enter the NF Ladies Academy!

My nutritional focus is to cut out processed foods and eat the way I need to in order to decrease my body fat while building muscle. My mega million dollar goal is to lose 15% body fat. It's a tall order but I'm in it to win. My philosophy: "why not me?"

And, really, why NOT us?!? Immaright???!

My nerd self runs deep and wide, but my true nerd love is Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Please tell me that there other gunslingers in our NF Rebellion!

Sooooooo, does it sound like you and I could hang? I hope so. And I my promise to you: You, too, have my sword *bows deeply*

Thank you! I'm new to the whole forum thing but I hope to eventually keep a battle log on here. I imagine my log will end up describing more about my back story as I happily fight my way through my NF quests as well as random-not-so-random rants about why the Dark Tower is the greatest series of all time [emoji16] Long days and pleasant nights to you!

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion. You've already accomplished so much. Try easing up on yourself some, if you don't have the time you used to have to train it's going to take longer to get where you want to be. The important thing is you are still working out consistently, celebrate that some.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Awesome! I will take your sword offer and raise you a bow and arrow :) I would love to fight in the rebellion with you at my side. You sound powerful, courageous, committed and funny! Great combos haha. Also I have only just started reading Stephen king for the first time (the stand-and loving it!) but my fiancé is always telling me how much he loves the gunslinger and that I need to read them. I still need to battle my way through 1,900 some pages of the stand but this may be next on my list!

• Like 1

Thanks, Tank. At the risk of sounding like a Rebel noob, I was looking forward to your welcome. Thankee-sai!

So that's a thing now? Rebel Noobs wait for me to reply to their intro threads.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath