Forums are back in action! ×

New Recruit in Michigan.

My story:

Many pounds ago in high school I played soccer, swam, and threw discus and shot put in high school. If I had to pick what didn't belong, it would be soccer and swimming. I never really enjoyed distance running, or long repetitious exercise. I've always been more on the power/explosive side of physical ability than long distance running and I let that be an excuse for not actually taking care of myself.

So here I am at the end of my college life (for now) looking at my body and going "I'd say what the hell happened, but I can answer that with 'beer, pizza, chinese take-out'". Frankly, I don't want to live in this body. I want a better body. I will give myself a better body.

My fitness and related goals are to:

a) Change my eating habits to 90% or better Paleo.

B) 100 push-ups

c) 200 sit ups

d) 200 air squats

e) Complete a 5k

f) See where I want to go from there (lifting)

I never really enjoyed distance running, or long repetitious exercise.

My fitness and related goals are to:

e) Complete a 5k

Welcome to the community. I don't understand why you want to run if you don't enjoy it? There are lots of other ways to be fit that fall within the power/explosiveness realm - for example a kettlebell conditioning circuit will give you all the cardio and fat burning you need. That being said, if a 5k is your goal, go for it, a few of my friends have had really good luck with the couch to 5k program.

-ted

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Good luck on your goals. The biggest step is deciding to do something about it. It sounds really lame, but deciding to move forward is a more difficult decision that the overall process. Plus, you have this great community of people here to support your efforts. I read all the time of people that are so much more successful than me and I am so amazed at all of the will power out there. It's very encouraging--nice to meet you and good luck to a better you!

...and I awoke to the Zs and they were chanting, "Da-vid...Da-vid..."

Thanks all for the welcome, didn't have much time to be on a computer this weekend.

Welcome to the community. I don't understand why you want to run if you don't enjoy it? There are lots of other ways to be fit that fall within the power/explosiveness realm - for example a kettlebell conditioning circuit will give you all the cardio and fat burning you need. That being said, if a 5k is your goal, go for it, a few of my friends have had really good luck with the couch to 5k program.

-ted

That is a goal on there specifically to be done once, and as a proving to myself that I have the will to do anything. Plus, I'm not sure I ever really gave running a chance.

There's got to be a prize for that... your nerd cred is going hyperbolic Ted... I feel threatened... ;-p

You know, I was starting to think that I wasn't that nerdy any more, I guess I was just deluding myself. My wife claims that this was the only time she was embarrassed of me, but I'm sure there were other times.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log