Forums are back in action! ×

For as long as I can remember, I have had big ideas, big goals, surges of motivation to become the person that I have wanted to become.  This has been true not just in regards to my fitness, but in other areas of my life as well... organization, finances, spirituality, etc.

Rarely, if ever, have I stuck with anything.  Typically I have "fallen off the wagon" within a few days of getting started.  This has created an underlying negativity to much of my thinking and how I view myself.  I typically assume I can't do things or that I won't follow through with them.  This has caused tremendous frustration for me as I always feel as though I am at the fed up stage, or the very beginning stage of getting to where I want to be.  I never reach the stage of seeing results because I don't stick with anything.

I am 38 years old and I don't want to live the rest of my life as I have up to this point.  I don't want to reach my 40+ years saddled with regret.

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Cool that you are ready to make changes. Why do you think it didn't work in the past? What can you change to make this time more successful?

One thing that I notice about people who are successful is they start with little, achievable, and measurable steps. So even if you have big ideas, the best way to get there is often with little steps.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Elastigirl beat me to the punch, she's right. I was the same way as you describe for a long time. I wanted to go straight from where I was to where I wanted to be without all the messy transition in between.  What kept me paralyzed was a fear of failure. I was so scared to fail that I would rather do nothing than try. I realized that true failure is not trying in the first place.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks for the replies.  I think you are correct.  I often wanted the results that I wanted almost instantaneously.  What I like about this program is the "small, measurable steps" idea.  I am looking forward to jumping into this.

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.