Forums are back in action! ×

The "How are you?" thread

Without all the challenge threads, I feel like I'm losing touch with how a bunch of you are doing. Hello! How's it going? :)

I've been doing a lot of travel recently -- I just flew in last night and I'm out again in a few days -- but still eating really well and visiting some new gyms. (The trick to food+fitness while traveling? Plan and prioritize.)

I had a talk with my family about paleo diet stuff since I'll be hanging with them in a few days; I left out all of the "why" paleo philosophy and just explained the lack of grains, allergies, etc. It was a lot weirder of a talk than I'd hoped, but a few days later my mother sent me for a "chocolate hazelnut meal tart" that she wants to make for holiday dessert "since you can't have most of the cookies you love" which I thought was really sweet.

Haven't broken any new PRs in the gym yeeet, probably cuz all the travel means less-than-ideal circumstances in sleep, etc. It's a little annoying to be stalled "due to life", but I'm spending some of this time working on form, trying new things (I bought some pullup bands! -- coming soon to a challenge near you), and playing with mobility wods. And I have to give myself props for keeping to 100% paleo and continuing to lift heavy things while flying around.

Anyway, how are you guys doing? How's life? :)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

well since you asked...(and i'm secretly hoping you'll give advice), the boy and i joined a gym. we were supposed to go yesterday for our free personal training session but when we got there one of the trainers was gone because of an emergency...so we chatted with the head trainer for a bit and talked about goals and motivation and stuff. rescheduled for (probably) monday. it was funny because i've always felt pretty comfortable in a gym but i felt a little out of place yesterday...guess it's been awhile. do you think it's worth it to pay for a trainer for a few sessions to "get off on the right foot"...i wasn't planning on it but the head guy made some valid points and it's not as expensive as i thought....

other than that, school is done and i'm working here and there for some extra cash...start the new job in january. going to the beach for a few days around xmas with some family.

like etf said....chillin'

do you think it's worth it to pay for a trainer for a few sessions to "get off on the right foot"...i wasn't planning on it but the head guy made some valid points and it's not as expensive as i thought....

IMHO, asking someone for help on issues like form is totally worthwhile if (and only if) it seems like they know what they're doing. If they start pushing you towards the machines, though, or making a workout plan that sounds like a hundred reps with pink barbells, run away.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Guest Snake McClain

i'm well i suppose. lots on my mind and little opportunity to vent but i'm good. Also bored a lot. i cant go to the gym and be effective every day and i have no life practically outside of work and the gym so that sucks. otherwise i'm cool.

I'm good! Managed to procure both Christmas eve and day off this year, and already had christmas with my side of the family. Now I can finally talk about our trip next year! My parents are taking us all (10 people total) to Costa Rica as our Christmas present and last "Family vacation before everyone has kids".

[Pixie | Warrior] Carjack: Muscles don't get confused. They only get angry. | Catspaw: I'm always willing to help dig holes for your bodies. | Twitter | Instagram | chammy has a log | chammy competes at the end

Doing ok, husband is very sick but still trying to do his set of outside chores and I'm trying hard not to get sick. Going to be a quiet Christmas for us, I'm making a baked ham for dinner. I've been knitting like crazy on some socks I've been working on for almost 2 years, trying to get them done by the end of this year and sent to the person I am making them for. Also spinning a lot, averaging about 500 yards of yarn a week or more. I've got to finish getting my loom redone, I need to start using this yarn and I can weave a lot faster than I can knit!

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1