Forums are back in action! ×

Why use the kettlebell?

I've been doing some fitness research on the internet and youtube in particular. The kettlebell looks awesome, so I want one. But to make sure I buy good stuff instead of an impulsive purchase of pricey fitness equipment I never use I want to make sure it is worht to buy a kettlebell. I also have adjustable dumbells which I use in training.

So question is, why should I buy one?

There are a lot of moves that benefit from doing with high frequency that, while you can do with dumbbells, they're enough of a pain that it's easy to skip.

Especially if you're talking adjustable DBs, some of the stuff is a little dicey, like a lot of swings and whatnot.

The DB versions also don't quite replicate the effect. A dumbbell clean is an all together different animal than one with a kettlebell. Same with a snatch, and the press is a different feel with different emphasis. The typically thicker handle wll also work your grip differently.

This isn't to say the DB versions of any of those moves aren't good, and wouldn't work in a fitness regimen. It's just that in the way dumbbells let you do things in a different way than barbells, kettlebells are a slightly different approach than DBs.

The issue a lot of people run into is trying to decide which to use, or make a case as to which is the superior tool. That's a waste of time. They're both just that, tool. Neither is the magic key to fitness, but both are tools to get you there. I use both, as well as barbells and bodyweight.

I will say that they're nicely portable, though. Any time I go home to visit the folks, the KB rides in the passenger seat, and I can do a lot of workouts with about 3 square feet of space. To me, that's value.

EDIT:

Oh, also, this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQJ0i18tK2Q

:P

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

The short answer - swinging a chunk of metal is a lot more fun than lifting things up and putting them down.

Kettlebells are very efficient, they build strength and cardio at the same time, also, since you need to stabilize your core while you work, they give you a really good core workout without having to do any crunches or planks. You can emphasize strength, conditioning, or core depending on how you set up your program.

Proponents will argue that it builds a superior functional strength, but that never made sense to me. In my experience it builds a lean strength, but not

body builder type muscle, but then I'm an ectomorph.

I don't know if they're available in Europe, but I think Lifeline Kettlebells are the best. (Plus they're made in the US for those whom that is important.)

However, I don't think you should buy a kettlebell without using one in a class first. They are kind of awkward to use at first and proper form is really important to getting the most benefit out of it.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Guest Carjack

Get one with a big and thick handle like Dragon Door and Art of Strength sell. Err on the side of heavy.

Kettlebells work the grip and assist in properly learning exercises like the overhead press and bent press.

Kettlebells will do more for your tendon strength, cardiovascular endurance and overall coordination than any dumbbell in existence. Even if you buy a single 35-pounder (16 kg) and do just one exercise with it (like a kettlebell swing), your posterior chain muscles will benefit, your deadlift poundage may well go up after a month or two, your bodyfat percentage will decrease and your grip will get considerably stronger.

2 Loren:

Barbells serve a different purpose. The maximum weight that kettlebells will allow you to handle - unless they are huge and custom-made balls of iron - is 211 lbs (96 kg). That's more than enough for military press, one-legged squat or various ballistic drills. You can get bigger and stronger with KBs, but if you goal is to lift a lot, they are more of an auxiliary tool.

When you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Cheshire Cat, Alice: Madness Returns

I'm curious too. Can KBs replace barbells for complete workouts? Or are barbells more efficient?

Yeah, as the poster above notes, it depends on your goals. One can get in great shape with just a kettlebell. But if your goal is to get progressively bigger and stronger, no, for the same reasons dumbbells are as well suited to the task as a bar. The jumps become too much, and not at all cost effective. It's best used as a conditioning tool and as a learning/auxillary tool to barbells. YMMV, of course.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Thanks for the replies to my question!

My goals are just to gain overall fitness and lose 20kgs of weight, seems like a kettlebell is the right fit for that. Althoughh I am not at my max point of my regular bodyweight and dumbell workout.

Looks like I will get one in the near future!

Lots of love for the Turkish get up lately. Couldn't hurt to start doing them again...

Back on topic, I love my kettlebells (I have Ader kettlebells). I mainly use them to for conditioning with swings, and its worked well. Quick and effective. I also like throwing in one arm movements (snatch, clean and press, rows, overhead walks, farmer's walk) to find imbalances in my body, but regular dumbbells would work just as well in that respect.