Forums are back in action! ×

Looking to start new workout routine after a pregnancy

I found Nerd Fitness last year and started the beginner body weight workout three times a week and ran 5K on alternating days.  I was inspired by Staci's success story, but I didn't think I could be successful doing that kind of workout.  I had no upper body strength and even doing a half-pullup was a miracle for me.  I had to stop my workout routine when I got pregnant in October.   Walking and some low-weight exercises (I wasn't allowed to lift anything more than 10 lbs) was all I was allowed to do before I even stopped doing that in May.  I want to try to start a workout routine back up.  I have to wait 2 more weeks until I get the all-clear from the doctor to lift more than 10 lbs and start any workout.

I have been looking into the 5x5 Strong Lifts routine.  I know I won't be able to just jump right into the program right away since I have't lifted anything more than 10 lbs for close to a year.   I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on how I could transition to the 5X5.   I was thinking of starting the beginner body weight workout until I felt comfortable enough to start the 5x5, but I didn't know if that would be a smooth transition or not.  Also, I would like to restart some running even though I now know that cardio is not going to work well with my goals of toning and building muscles, but it was something I loved to do.  Does anyone have advice or have a routine that involves the 5x5 (or something similar) and running?  

Do exactly what you suggested and start the BBWW again as well as running. Running while doing strength training is fine, it's only if you want to bulk up that it becomes an issue. Just go easy getting back into things and you will do fine.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath