Forums are back in action! ×

Hitting the ground running.... litterally

Hey all. I'm pretty new to working out on my own. For 11 years of competitive swimming my coaches always had the game plan and I went with the flow... well now that I'm out of college I don't have a coach telling me what to do anymore so I'm looking for some help. My friend introduced me to the site a while ago and I've been enthralled with it ever since.

Moving on. I'm planning on running the Pittsburgh half marathon in May, so I've been "training" for that recently. I haven't done much other than get back into running shape and increasing my mileage slowly. I'm going to start getting a more scheduled running plan going but I'd like to also include lots of strength/weight training, which presents a problem in it's own (because of my inexperience here). I'm looking into making a schedule to incorporate all of this into a weekly workout schedule but I'm not sure of anything yet. Any input on that problem would be greatly appreciated.

Now to hit on the diet side of things. I'd love to try the paleo diet for the strength training but I'm hesitant to do so with all the running I'm planning on doing. I'm not sure if any of this would be answered in the Running Guide/Strength Guide/Fitness Guide but I don't have those as of yet so excuse me if my questions could be answered by reading the books. Again, anything you guys and gals could shed some light on for me would be great!

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint

welcome to the forum! i know there are some distance runners around here that do paleo. but they might modify a bit before long runs...not sure on that one. as for the weight lifting, will you be in a gym, on your own, etc?

A little bit of both. I teach swim lessons at a YMCA by my work so I have access to the gym but I've really only been running on the treadmills there. I've started doing some body weight/free weight circuits that include pushups, planks, dips, rows, squats, lunges etc. etc. (there's my old swimmer dry land routines coming out) but nothing past what I've done before. I have a set of free weights at home so if I'm doing just a weight day to rest my legs I'll normally do that at home while I throw my dinner together.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint