Forums are back in action! ×

Hey there! :)

A couple weeks ago, when a friend of mine (verin) showed me this site, I took immediate interest and could definitely see why he said it was so inspirational. I've been stalking the forums and articles for a few weeks now, but didn't get the chance to actually post til now.

I'm a freshman in University away from home. I haven't quite gained the whole "freshman 15" so far, but I can't say that I feel healthy. My goal is to change this. I've never lifted weights, I can barely do a push-up and I can only run (slowly) for a short amount of time. So, I really want to get in shape and while I'm at it, lose some extra body fat. I've started going on runs every other day (sometimes everyday) and I plan on getting a gym membership at uni once second semester kicks in, as well as I'm joining cardio kickboxing at my school. My starting goal is probably just with running (I don't have a specific goal for that yet though, still working on it) and definitely being able to do a set of pushups. My goal is 20 for now -- when it comes to my upper-body strength, that's saying a lot.

So I guess that's it for now... oh yeah, and just so you know: I love Portal, Portal 2, WoW (although school stopped that nonsense), Dexter, Firefly, Game of Thrones and... cats.

Hey there! :)

A couple weeks ago, when a friend of mine (verin) showed me this site, I took immediate interest and could definitely see why he said it was so inspirational. I've been stalking the forums and articles for a few weeks now, but didn't get the chance to actually post til now.

I'm a freshman in University away from home. I haven't quite gained the whole "freshman 15" so far, but I can't say that I feel healthy. My goal is to change this. I've never lifted weights, I can barely do a push-up and I can only run (slowly) for a short amount of time. So, I really want to get in shape and while I'm at it, lose some extra body fat. I've started going on runs every other day (sometimes everyday) and I plan on getting a gym membership at uni once second semester kicks in, as well as I'm joining cardio kickboxing at my school. My starting goal is probably just with running (I don't have a specific goal for that yet though, still working on it) and definitely being able to do a set of pushups. My goal is 20 for now -- when it comes to my upper-body strength, that's saying a lot.

So I guess that's it for now... oh yeah, and just so you know: I love Portal, Portal 2, WoW (although school stopped that nonsense), Dexter, Firefly, Game of Thrones and... cats.

I was the same as you when it came to pushups. Start by doing them on a wall or on your bed. I mean, of course, feet on the floor leaning forwards with your hands on the bed. Once you get good at that do them on the floor. I would do 10 on the bed, 1 on the floor and repeat. Then a few days later, 9 on the bed, 2 on the floor. Until you are just doing them on the floor. Then you can try military pushups and pushups into one-arm balance. Fun! If you are naturally skinny-ish running might not help so much. It can be fun if you need to lose a bit of weight. If your knees hurt or you get shin splints go to a running store and spend $100 on shoes. They actually work.

Welcome! Have you considered a 5K road race for your first goal? There are lots pf programs out there designed to take a raw beginner and get them across the finish line of their first race. Couch to 5K is a wildly popular one (and free!), and the Rebel Running Guide is another, which has the added bonus of actually teaching you how to...well, run!

Hope to see you around! Let us know how we can help!

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

:D Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I was the same as you when it came to pushups. Start by doing them on a wall or on your bed. I mean, of course, feet on the floor leaning forwards with your hands on the bed. Once you get good at that do them on the floor. I would do 10 on the bed, 1 on the floor and repeat. Then a few days later, 9 on the bed, 2 on the floor. Until you are just doing them on the floor. Then you can try military pushups and pushups into one-arm balance. Fun! If you are naturally skinny-ish running might not help so much. It can be fun if you need to lose a bit of weight. If your knees hurt or you get shin splints go to a running store and spend $100 on shoes. They actually work.

I was thinking about the wall or bed push ups for sure, I read the article on here for starting off with push-ups but the routine with adding one on the floor seems like a good idea! I'll definitely start trying that. I know running isn't the best but I do enjoy it a little and I always have friends asking me to go running with them. Also I totally agree with you on the shoes... I have a decent pair of sneakers that give me no problems.

Welcome! Have you considered a 5K road race for your first goal? There are lots pf programs out there designed to take a raw beginner and get them across the finish line of their first race. Couch to 5K is a wildly popular one (and free!), and the Rebel Running Guide is another, which has the added bonus of actually teaching you how to...well, run!

I haven't been able to think of what I specifically wanted to reach with running but 5K seems reasonable! A couple days ago I finally got a smartphone and was able to somewhat track my last run. I made it to about 4K til I ran out of fuel. I haven't looked over Couch to 5K but I will for sure check it out. Thanks! :)

welcome to the community! i used to take a cardio kickboxing class at school and it was my favorite workout of the entire week.

Thanks! That actually makes me even more excited. I've always wanted to do kickboxing, and there is a place just down the street from where I live at home but it cost about 600$ to join... which I can't afford. Having the classes at uni though gave me the opportunity!
Guest guest4729

Firefly fan? Niceeee. I love love love Firefly. Have you seen Serenity? And have you seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog? :D

Otherwise, welcome to the forums! We all hope to see you posting lots, learning lots and improving lots.

Firefly fan? Niceeee. I love love love Firefly. Have you seen Serenity? And have you seen Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog? :D

YESS. I have Serenity, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the individual episodes. My boyfriend got me into them over the summer and I went through them really fast. I wish there was more than one season! However, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog I have not seen.

YESS. I have Serenity, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the individual episodes. My boyfriend got me into them over the summer and I went through them really fast. I wish there was more than one season! However, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog I have not seen.

And of course Castle!!!! gotta have my Nathan fix! Dr. Horrible is on Netflix watch instant if you have access to that :D My daughters and I watch Castle together then the eldest and I watched Dr. Horrible. Poor Kaity, she didn't know if she should laugh or not some of it was 'awkward' (her favorite word) I recommend it for the irreverent fun that it is!!

I am my own evil twin!

~~ Paleo Challenge! ~~ Blog ~~