Forums are back in action! ×

Knee pain, please, I'm desperate

Hi dear fellas, I've been having knee issues since I started squating. They came and go, but now I haven't squated in months and sometimes I have this "weird felling". It's not PAIN, I can walk and everything but the skin on the side of my knee feels like it is being pinched as I walk.

I have uploaded an image to illustrate exactly where it feels weird.

yO0L12c.jpg

Does this happen to any of you?
Can this be treated? Stretches? Something?

I went to a doctor once, he told me to never squat below paralel (bad advice). I tried squating above paralel and my knee caps were busted for a whole weekend :(

Thanks in advance!

Amount of what you have to give in order to succeed.

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram

Try keeping your hamstrings nice and stretched out, and if you can use a foam roller on your IT band (Youtube has tons of videos on it) if you dont have a foam roller you can use a frozen 2L bottle. 

helped my knee a lot on squats, though in the end I couldnt do them with much weight because of my knee

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Try keeping your hamstrings nice and stretched out, and if you can use a foam roller on your IT band (Youtube has tons of videos on it) if you dont have a foam roller you can use a frozen 2L bottle. 

helped my knee a lot on squats, though in the end I couldnt do them with much weight because of my knee

I second the hamstrings and rolling advice.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

knee-anatomy-pesanserine-patellar-bursa.

Just a little explanation with the hamstring thing...  The pes anserine bursa (see image above) is a lovely fluid filled pouch, for lack of a better way to explain it, that is in the area your hamstrings and some other ligaments/tendons attach... Most of my knee pain has been because of letting my hamstrings get too tight, and some other factors, which has caused me to get bursitus (or swelling of the bursa) stretching can reduce the stress on the bursa... thus less pain... 

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

I went to a doctor once, he told me to never squat below paralel (bad advice). I tried squating above paralel and my knee caps were busted for a whole weekend :(

Yeah, Rippetoe says ONLY squat below parallel... It's the one thing I've ever actually dared/presumed/been cheeky enough to argue with my Krav trainers about, and I was really happy to notice they stopped pushing "above parallel" a few weeks later. [emoji41]

But the reason for the "above parallel" trope is that a lot of folks push their knees too far forward when they go deeper. I'd suggest you form-check yourself from the side when you do your squats (with video, NOT a mirror, be good to your neck!) and see if your knees are sliding forward past your toes. If they are, mobilitywod.com for hip flexibility!

• Like 1

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous