Forums are back in action! ×

Simply standing up

I've read that simply standing up can help you burn more calories. i work at starbucks, so I'm standing up for several hours a day. My question is, how many calories are burned per hour of standing up? I know this depends on body type, and I'm about 160 lbs. I'm just trying to factor this in to my calorie counting.

• Like 1

Liveforwonder's Quest Log

1 2

Walking to Mordor - Hobbiton to Rivendell: 97.1 miles out of 458

I've read that simply standing up can help you burn more calories. i work at starbucks, so I'm standing up for several hours a day. My question is, how many calories are burned per hour of standing up? I know this depends on body type, and I'm about 160 lbs. I'm just trying to factor this in to my calorie counting.

I couldn't find anything for a Starbucks employee specifically, but I did find stuff for waiting tables which I would imagine would be close.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295244-how-many-calories-does-waitressing-burn/

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Waiters carry loads of plates though, and baristas stand still more and lift less. Between the two, waiting tables is more of a workout. Bartending, which involves reaching and moving around constantly, is probably somewhere in between.

Standing burns slightly more calories than sitting, but the difference isn't really huge. According to livestrong the difference is 20 to 50 calories per hour. According to this calculator you're burning about 250 additional calories over your 8-hr shift.

http://www.juststand.org/tabid/637/language/en-us/default.aspx

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

A major benefit in working while standing (or standing while working?) is the improved posture. Working while sitting pretty much means slouching on a desk nowadays. So even if you don't burn significantly more calories, your bones and tendons are thankful.

Well , on the other hand, if you're ONLY standing without walking around, it's not much better. I worked as a security for our parties at university and the standing part was the hardest one.

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log