Forums are back in action! ×

So there I was...

Hi, my name is Gabe and I'm a nerd, and I'm pretty sure that I have been all of my life. I have been experimenting with fitness on and off for years now from running cross country and playing basketball in college to training for marathons and just trying to get "functionally" stronger (... I hate that term). I know what works for me and what doesn't. My problem has always been sticking to any type of game plan for longer than 6-8 months before I get bored and either move on to something else or just stop all together.

Having recently turned 30, something snapped in my head and I realized that I needed to make being fit and healthy a lifestyle, and not a hobby. I stumbled on this site while perusing other fitness articles and threads and immediately felt like I had come home... as cheesy as that sounds. Like I said before, I have always been a nerd. I played DnD when I was younger and then moved on to MMOs (WoW mainly) until I realized that it took up way too much time. I still play any RPG I can get my hands on, read comics from time to time, love watching Star Wars and Star Trek as Dr. Who and many other assorted shows and I read through at least a book a week. I am leaving the Army after 10 years of working as a Network Engineer and Server Admin, and still trying to figure my life out.

So that's me in a nutshell... I do apologize for rambling.

-If you make friends with pain you'll never be alone.

That was not a ramble by NerdFitness terms.....

Welcome to the Rebellion!

After you get some good information into you, it'd be awesome to see what kind of fitness goals + life goals you come up with, everybody here will do their best to help you achieve them.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Thanks for the welcome! So, goals... I'll start with fitness goals, having too many conflicting is definitely part of the problem. I need to prioritize and narrow down the list, but here we go:

1- Break under an 18 min 5k (probably sitting around 21 min, it's been awhile since I've timed it)

2- Qualify for Boston (current PR is 3:18 but that was a couple years and about 20 lbs ago)

3- Bench Press 315 lbs (265 now)

4- Squat 405 lbs (355 now)

5- Deadlift 455 (375 now)

6- Overhead Press 185 (145 now)

7- Squat Snatch my bodyweight (185, and I have no idea where I'm at with that)

8- 10 consecutive muscle-ups

9- 50 unbroken double-unders

10- be able to dunk again (ahhh, memories)

11- get down to single digit bodyfat and stay there (probably around 16-17% now... just an educated guess)

-Many more, but this is all I could think of off the top of my head

And to life goals...

-First and foremost is finding a job that I will be excited to work at... getting out of the military in about 3 months, the hunt is on

-Finally stick to the Paleo diet and actually make it a lifestyle instead of a diet

-More to come when I get settled down somewhere and can get my priorities straight

Yeehaw.

-If you make friends with pain you'll never be alone.