Forums are back in action! ×

Finally introducing myself (after 3 years of trolling...)

Where to begin?

I guess the most efficient way to summarize my fitness life up to now is in bulleted list. See below:

• Active childhood
  • Marching band in high school (along with a little weight lifting)
  • Lots of drinking and no exercise the first few years of college
  • years of not caring about fitness AT ALL!
  • 5 years ago - A series of tragedies woke me up to the fleeting nature of human life
  • 4 years ago - FINALLY started caring about my health, made some diet changes, lifted some weights, did Crossfit for a few months, tried paleo and felt great - completed a Spartan Race (hoo-ya)
  • 3 years ago - Got married and moved to Honduras to teach at a Bilingual school (started lurking on NF site)
  • 2 years ago - maintained a generally active lifestyle with lots of walking and traveling, but did not maintain fitness as before
  • Last year - started Krav Maga classes - had our first son (which tanked my fitness) - noticed some tingling in my legs and feet after prolonged sitting (which I had never had before) and promptly came to terms with the fact that I am getting old. 
  • NOW - in the US for the summer, changed jobs (still in Honduras), started trying to walk consistently and doing the NF Body Weight and Warm-Ups to get myself moving. 

Ok, that was probably more info than necessary, but there it is. I am not a stranger to fitness but I lack the discipline to maintain my fitness. Honestly, with the job change and having our son I am yet again reckoning with my own laziness and trying to figure out to stay healthy for my son. Living in Hondu makes some of the stuff difficult as equipment is really expensive and gyms are even more of a rip off. I absolutely love my Krav classes and plan on continuing those when we return. The dojo also does TacFit (its like Crossfit but with less weightlifting and more functional movements) which I am thinking of doing. 

I am naturally a generalist so I think I fit with the Ranger world best, although not sure if that is set in stone. I do well with goal/activity based fitness rather than routine based fitness. I like to be able to mix up what I am doing and learn skills while doing it. 

I am turning 30 in less than a month and I weigh 195 lbs (which the most I have ever weighed). I am realizing that I have fewer and fewer years to get my body working better. I want to be able to take my son hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, and generally just play with him like a kid. 

I am looking forward to learning and pushing myself!

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion! You are getting older, but are by no means too old to start working on fitness. I didn't even find this site till I was 30.  You've made some good progress, and it sounds like you have a good set up for yourself there in Honduras, Krav Maga is a great program and TacFit sounds good as well. I'm always excited to hear about potential Rangers!.  Also, we have a six week challenge starting on Monday, why not sign up as a recruit?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Your name rocks! I actually signed up before reading your reply. Haha. I figure of I'm done lurking why not try a challenge? It was difficult to get going with Kraft initially but once I did I loved it. I am looking forward to getting back. A friend has some weights to so I am looking forward doing some dead lifts too!

Deadlifts! WOOOOOOOT! Deadlifts are the king of lifts, they do everything and make you awesome! Good job signing up for a recruit challenge. Let the awesome flow through you!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath