Forums are back in action! ×

Android Apps?

in lieue of 2yrs sober (1/19/12) and not having killed anybody during this time, and christmas, and my birthday, and, mainly because i just plain wanted one, i got a Droid Razr

/go team me

looking for some good apps/ways to use this bad-boy so i can waste even more time dinking with the phone

looking for anything cool, really

be it fitness, health, food, gamez (oh, hellz yeah, gamez), general time-sink, lemme know what you're using...trying to avoid apps that cost; but, will pay for something if warranted

i did the fb thing but that sucked because all of a sudden i had over 3000 contacts in my phone...so, i removed that bad boy...anybody know if i can add fb without it pulling in all my contacts info?

anyhow, tyia

E--

The FMLife app is a great time waster.

For fitness: There is RunKeeper or C25K.

For food, try mealfire. They have a website too and it's nice to use to set up cooking for the week and autogenerate your shopping list which you can access on yuor phone (handy!)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

One of the nice things about Android phones is how you can replace all of the stock apps for things like texting, keyboard, browser. I have changed my texting app to handcent which is much more interesting and can be customised a lot more than the stock app. For my keyboard I use Swype (which is one that's not in the marketplace and has to be downloaded via your browser.) Swype is an interesting keyboard in that it allows you to move your finger from letter to letter without pressing them individually. I find it much quicker this way.

Also, check out this article for a bunch of recommedations, it's updated fairly regularly as well as new stuff comes out.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/50-best-free-android-apps-687252

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

For fitness I am really enjoying Endomondo Pro. It cost a dollar or two to download but it tracks runs and any fitness activity you do and synchs them to a website. This week I Ran, did Martial Arts, and went on a Hike and it let me load workouts for each.

I second the FML app, quite funny. Depending on your interests -

Music - Pandora and Shazam. If you hear a song playing over the radio or in a bar or something and want to know what it is just put on Shazam and it will somehow listen to the song and find the artist and title.

Reading - Kindle App. Allows you to synch your kindle / amazon ebooks with your phone if you can't take a kindle with you.

Congrats on sticking with the life goal and enjoy your reward!

Apps I can't live without:

Launcher Pro (Plus) - yes, you have to pay for the plus version but I like to support the great developer. Massively customisable homescreen replacement which looks awesome and behaves awesomer. Yes I just invented that word.

Thumb Keyboard - great for texting in landscape (but horrible for portrait use)

Swiftkey+ - better for text input in portrait mode, but Thumb Keyboard just edges out the winner for me. Personal preference, YMMV.

AndroidVNC - lets me check in on my home PC. Free, and compatible with TightVNC (and others).

AndroIRC - IRC on the go. Free. Excellent app.

Amazon appstore - not really a necessity but they do the occasional good app on the free app of the day. Bit of a hassle keeping everything updated on there, but worth it for the odd free app that you'd normally have to pay for.

Bump - super handy way of transferring things to your friends and family. Free.

Camera Zoom FX - best camera replacement I've used (Vignette has more options but is more of a faff to use)

eBay - much improved with recent updates, now a very nice ebay experience.

Handcent SMS - best messaging app replacement, hands down.

Opera Mobile - got sick of the poor stock browser. This is probably the best replacement one. Again, a lot of this is personal preference. YMMV.

Pulse - awesome RSS feed news app. Looks beautiful, works beautiful.

Root Explorer - need root, obviously, but extremely helpful.

Shopper - good way to access google shopping results.

Skype - video chat enabled nowadays which makes it worth getting.

Spotify - awesome. Not sure if you have this in the US.

Swipepad - excellent quicklaunch app. Revolutionised the way I use my phone on a daily basis.

Tapatalk - for easy NF forum access!

Tasker - ultra-customisable app that lets you automate virtually anything you can imagine. I once made a preset that, if I was at home and hadn't left for the last three hours, and if it was after 11pm, put my phone on airplane mode and set my alarm for 7am.

Titanium Backup - a necessity if you are rooted. Pretty much awesome app.

Tweetdeck - excellent facebook/twitter aggregator. Looks nice, works well.

Unlock With Wifi - app that lets you set 'safe' wifi zones (i.e. the wifi SSID at home), where, if you're connected to one, will disable the lock screen. This is based on the premise that if your phone is still connected to your home wifi, it's unlikely to be stolen. Only saves an unlock, but I'd call it essential.

Wifi File Explorer Pro - very useful app lets you browse your phone on your home pc if it's on the same wifi network, and up/download files straight to/from it. Very handy, means you don't have to find that data cable every time.

Cool games:

Apparatus: addictive, puzzle game. Get a ball from one place to another by building, you guessed it, an apparatus.

Cut The Rope: highly cute, highly addictive, extremely satisfying game.

Frogger: 'Nuff said.

Great Little War Game: turn-based little war game. It is great, as the name implies.

Godville: MMOZPG (Z=zero). You'll understand if you play it. Good, cheeky, pointless fun.

Homerun Baseball 3D: I've lost track of how much time I've spent playing this deceptively addictive little game.

I Must Run: Canabalt (if you remember that) on android. Very addictive and quite a good little sidescrolling 'platformer'.

Jelly Defense: Best tower defense game I've played.

Minecraft PE: Minecraft. On android. 'Nuff said.

MiniSquadron: Altitude, but on Android. Amazing fun, especially multiplayer over wifi.

PewPew: Insanely hectic asteroids-style shooter. Makes your phone very hot, but looks cool and is great fun.

Reflexions: Another puzzler, looks good and great gameplay. Reminds me of a game I played in the early '90s whose name I've forgotten.

Shift: Very simple but very complex at the same time.

Solipskier: Far too much fun, skiing game, you draw the slope. Like linerider, but much less buggy.

Space Physics: Good fun to play, bit like Cartoon Physics but...well, in space.

Spirit: Nice little arcade game, good time killer. Looks good too.

They Need To Be Fed: Probably the best game I've played on android. Totally adorable and highly addictive, deceptively simple yet amazingly hard sometimes.

More to come as I think of them. :)