Forums are back in action! ×

Hey there, I'm "That New Guy", you know that new guy... the one that shows up somewhere and is all awkward, can't remember anyone's name and has the feeling everyone is suspicious and judgmental... well, I know there won't be any suspicion and judgment, I've lurked and browsed and read etc... But I decided I needed a bit of social support, I'm taking the plunge, throwing myself out there and I hope it will give me that bit more accountability and feel good factor to keep on keeping on instead of the start and stop nonsense I've been up to most of my life, taking a step forward and then reverting back to the original operation system.

So, here it is:  Me - 38, 3 crazy kids that keep me spinning (and the dog too), awesome wife, too many hobbies, too much junk and clutter (mental and physical), a great attitude (I let the annoying/crappy/stupid stuff slide).  I love life, love living where I do (house, neighborhood, city, country) and I have a lot of fun, I make fun of almost everything I see.  But, there's always the but... I'm overweight, always have been, could never lose anything, maybe a couple of pounds, but it always came back.  A few years ago I googled Paleo Diet, then I read about it for a week straight (talk about OCD), then fought with my wife about it to do it, then she more than got on board, then she wouldn't let me quit when I hit the low carb flu (got it bad), then it was A   W   E   S   O  M   E   !   Lost like 35 lbs, threw away a bunch of clothes, felt like I never did before, looked like I never did before ( on my way to skinny ! - distant dream for me).    Anyway, for 8 months it was great, then the you know what Hit The Fan, work went berserk, wife critically ill, etc. etc. it came back, slowly mind you, but it's back.  I had gone down to 178 and that was the bottom of the curve, but it did a good up swing.

It's not all gone bad, I'm still 85% paleo, still no grains, beans, seed oils or crap like that.  The 15% is the sugar/carb demon (potatos, ice cream, "paleo waffles" and crap like that). Im a sugar junkie and I know it.  I have turned a lot of people to Paleo, but now I look like a hypocrite with this big belly.

So... This is it, the respawn, I'm back at 210lbs (my record weight was 225 at 21yo).  I should be at 160 or 165, or at least have some abs.  I started this all about 2 1/2 years ago, it's been too much effort (and cost) put in for no real lasting result.  Version 2.0 of the "new me" has been released and I've been at it for a week already.  Goals: I need to lose this weight that has dragged me down my whole adult and teenage life.  I am going to keep up with my kids and someday their kids, not be a grumpy crippled middle age-r who won't hit old age.  I want to see abs, climb stuff and jump around and over things like an ideeot as people look at me shaking their heads (while they can barely bend to do up their velcro shoes).  I see dead people everywhere around here... it seems like 90% of the population in my town is fat and crippled or they are poisoning themselves to death with drugs, cigarettes or booze, it's sad, but it's also motivation to live like a champ.

I'm on my way now, I feel better already.  Stay cool folks, I will be updating this.

Welcome to the rebellion. It's not easy coming back from a backslide, but you can do it. I've done it before and am in the middle of doing it now.  Sorry things got so bad for you there for a while. Is your wife better?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You've walked this path before, so at least you know the way now!  Go to it.  

A lot of folks get by on 15% junk and 85% clean ... as long as it doesn't go beyond 15%.  Some folks do better on "all or nothing."  Only you know which one is best for you.  Don't beat yourself up over the junk food, regardless -- just take steps to keep it away from you, and bring the good things closer to you.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.