Forums are back in action! ×

Need pull-up/chin-up help

Alright so I have a pull-up/dip station, I have resistance tubes... however the tubes aren't nearly long enough to reach my knee, let alone my foot from the pull-up bar, if I do it from the bar that is the center of the station then it's too far back and puts me at a tilted angle for doing the pullups. Using I chair no matter what I do I find myself using my legs way too much and barely using my arms...

Any suggestions?

-R.C.M

Speedway #729 F&AM

www.ryanmercer.com

Already row 150lbs on an Olympic bar, don't have anything even remotely able to be used for bodyweight rows, and like I said in my post assisted isn't working. :( I'll just have to figure something else out

That's really weird. You should be able to hold onto the bar longer then. Well, maybe. I don't know your height/weight, but maybe you can't handle your bodyweight yet? I know that I was at 210 and couldn't do one. I had to lose 30 pounds before I could do one. :)

(not trying to put your down, or judge, or anything... purely informational)

That's really weird. You should be able to hold onto the bar longer then. Well, maybe. I don't know your height/weight, but maybe you can't handle your bodyweight yet? I know that I was at 210 and couldn't do one. I had to lose 30 pounds before I could do one. :)

(not trying to put your down, or judge, or anything... purely informational)

I'm 260 heh.

-R.C.M

Speedway #729 F&AM

www.ryanmercer.com

Hang off the bar as long as you can 3X a day. You'll be sore no matter what, whether you do 10 sets of 2 seconds, or just max out a few times. Once you get to 10 seconds try some Negatives. Once you can do a decent amount of time in a single set start worrying about volume.

Farmer's Walks.

Get a bowl of sand/dirt/rice and squeeze it. Alternatively, thoroughly soak a towel and squeeze.

Naturally, if you want to be comfortable hanging off of a bar, I would suggest just that over the other alternatives.

I've started to do http://www.50pullups.com/. I finished day 5 of http://www.50pullups.com/50-pullups-programme/less-4-pullups. It seems like a good plan. Always really stiff the day after which is generally a good sign. Give it a shot.

Welcome! And thanks for sharing.

I haven't heard of that site, but I was doing www.TwentyPullups.com once. :)

What's your pullup/dip station look like? Post a pic?

If it's all one "tower", you can loop the bands between the dips bars, making like a horizantal platform o' band to kneel on. A lot of trainers prefer this to the method of hanging it down from the pullup bar.

Another option is to bet stronger/heavier bands: http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Not that sturdy haha, I'm just going to hang and pull as hard as I can and keep losing the weight.

Alright, but I feel I should tell you that I used to do that everyday and got elbow tendinitis. I did get a Chin-Up, but a few weeks of pain also. Keep the volume down if you decide to go to failure often.

Pulldown cable machine works great for building pretty much the same muscles until you can lift yourself above the bar. I actually like it a lot better than the chin/pull-up assistance machines.

Mon: DeadLift, Pulldown (Chin grip), DB Rows, Push-ups

Wed: Bench Press, Military Press, DB Press, Chins

Fri: Squat, Leg Press, Good Mornings, Chins, Push-ups

Jackknife pullups. Just get a chair or something, put it in front of the bar and put your feet up that. Your legs will be at a 90 degree angle with your torso, while the latter hangs straight down from the bar. This allows you to assist a bit with your legs, while still carrying the bulk of your weight with your arms. Try to assist less and less with your legs each time.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Alright, but I feel I should tell you that I used to do that everyday and got elbow tendinitis. I did get a Chin-Up, but a few weeks of pain also. Keep the volume down if you decide to go to failure often.

I have no intention of doing it every day, that gives no recovery time, as I'm going to be hanging and pulling as hard as I can.

-R.C.M

Speedway #729 F&AM

www.ryanmercer.com