Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for a good community

Hi NF crew!

I'm a 27 year old web developer from Ohio. I've always been a big guy, but in 2007 I decided to change that. I went from 315 to 250 through diet and exercise. Unfortunately, I slipped a bit, became depressed from that and never recovered. Before I knew it, it was 2010 and I woke up to see 300lbs. on the scale again.

That's going to change. I'm going to lose the 50lbs I put back on and I'm not stopping there! I'm looking for a good community to join so I can have friends who know what I'm going through. I'm a huge video game geek and enjoy Star Wars and tabletop gaming, so I'm guessing this is the place to be as opposed to befriending the juiceheads at the local gym. :) It's sad, but fitting that one of my primary goals is to be able to buy geeky shirts simply because I'll fit in them!

I just wanted to pop in and say hi, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Welcome to the forums!

I also was a web dev for quite the while but I got burnt out and while I mainly did PHP I hated HTML enough to never want to read it again. I am personally more of a Star Trek fan but have seen and read enough of Star Wars to have an informed discussion with the biggest Star Wars nerd. I do agree with you that I feel this is a better forum than the BodyBuilding forums that you may see. I feel this forum everyone is helpful to your situation and most times no matter where you are with your fitness there is not only someone here that is going through the same situation but there are also people that have been there and can motivate you and help you get past any road bumps that you may have.

Since last smoke: (Created by Catspaw)

http://htmlpad.org/emclinuxnosmoke/

Hey, welcome, and we're all here to help. This is a pretty good community, and I don't think I have seen any negativity. Although you are from Ohio, so it may have to start. Go Blue!! No, seriously, I am not a hardcore Michigan v. Ohio person. I say we should all have pride that we are in the coolest part of the country. Go Great Lakes Consortium (the name I have given to my hypothetical country, once everything goes to hell and the US splits into sections -- it's the political philosopher in me. I think that I have divided the country into 6 or 7 regions, including a new Sioux Nation. Wow, I am nerdy.)!!

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah, I'm an OSU fan, but not to the level of taking it out on Michigan people. :)

emclinux, I do ASP.NET and general .NET programming, so it keeps me with options for moving out of web if I ever feel the burn. I'm sure that eventually I'll get sick of the ever-evolving standards and move into a less volatile area of programming.

I also had a string of bad clients that help shorten my web dev career. I will tell you that there is nothing like a C++ book, Linux Computer, pot of coffee and a good fun problem solving program to write. If you or anyone wants one heck of a computer programming challenge try this. http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page I have been doing this for a year off and on and its a lot of fun.

Since last smoke: (Created by Catspaw)

http://htmlpad.org/emclinuxnosmoke/