Forums are back in action! ×

In a hole in the ground there lived a college student...

Hi pals :) I'm Liv. I've just turned 21, and I'm about to start my senior year of university studying English Education with a minor in history. I'm sort of a nerd-of-all-trades....I don't have any one specific fandom I'm super attached to, but I'm a longterm Potterhead, an ex-Whovian (I need to get caught up...), a growing Marvel fan (#BlackWidowBaby), and currently obsessed with the Dragon Age series. On top of that, I'm on the quiz bowl team at my school and my nickname is Wikipedia.

I'm completely out of shape. Actually, I've never been in shape in the first place! Athletics have always been the absolute last thing on my mind. I'm basically an IRL hobbit-- all my attention is spent on reading, baking, sewing, and video games. It's never been a huge issue, but it has kept me from fully enjoying certain things. I can't just agree to go on a hike with my friends because I don't know if I can make it to the top. I couldn't do a bike tour when I was studying abroad because I wouldn't be able to make it all day. I have to sit out dances when I go two-stepping, which is my favorite thing in the world. And as much as I love playing kickball or flag football, I suck at them both. Weight-wise, I don't know where I'm at as I haven't weighed myself in a few months (I have no scale). But last time I checked, I was around 165 pounds at 5'4 tall. That's not a huge concern for me, but at the same time I would like to feel more confident in my own skin. I don't know if losing weight or getting stronger or what will help me with that, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

So basically, I'm here because I want to be able to do things. I'm guessing I'll need to try and find a balance between cardio and strength training, but I'm completely clueless on what to do apart from trying out the beginner bodyweight plan. When I'm in school, I have free access to a pretty small gym and places to run outside, but it's also averaging 105 F where I live so that definitely limits what I can do outdoors. In addition, my schedule basically has me booked from 9am-6pm 5 days a week before I add on homework, hanging out with friends, and social club/rush activities. So I could really use help figuring out what I can do with my limited resources, even more limited time, and mega limited fitness abilities! At this point, I can walk a few miles without stopping, or run on the elliptical for about like 4 miles in 40 minutes? (Don't remember specifics of that). Strength wise...I can do maybe 15-20 situps without stopping or 10-15 squats. I can hold a plank for 30 seconds. I can't do a pushup or a pullup. (Warned you I was a wee little hobbit :P) I just started a challenge thread, too, if you want to look at that. 

But whatever it takes, I'm excited to start, and I'm glad I've found a community that seems so encouraging, positive, and successful :)

• Like 2

{|liv, lvl 0, grey warden recruit|}

Welcome to the rebellion. 105? Two-step? You sound Texan! Don't worry about what you can do now, the only thing you have to worry about is doing a little bit better than last time. After a while that adds up to huge improvements.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

*waves* Welcome! It sounds like we have a lot in common, including being new here! I just started the bodyweight workout plan as well, but it looks like a good way to work up to a pushup or pullup. :)

105? Yikes. How much cooler does it get during the winter months? 

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Dauntless | Slytherin | Scorpio | INTJ 

Current Challenge: 2 (Assassins)

Past Challenges: 1 (Recruit)

*waves* Welcome! It sounds like we have a lot in common, including being new here! I just started the bodyweight workout plan as well, but it looks like a good way to work up to a pushup or pullup. :)

105? Yikes. How much cooler does it get during the winter months? 

That's awesome! I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress :~D

It actually gets a lot colder. We've never had sub-zero temps, but in January we typically are around 20-25F daily, and there's at least one ice storm a year that shuts everything down and sends the weather to under 10 degrees! We hardly have fall or spring because it changes so quickly; it's weird!

Also, I love your signature-- I'm an INFJ, so we almost match! And I may be a Gryffindor, but Slytherins are cool too :P

{|liv, lvl 0, grey warden recruit|}

That's awesome! I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress :~D

It actually gets a lot colder. We've never had sub-zero temps, but in January we typically are around 20-25F daily, and there's at least one ice storm a year that shuts everything down and sends the weather to under 10 degrees! We hardly have fall or spring because it changes so quickly; it's weird!

Also, I love your signature-- I'm an INFJ, so we almost match! And I may be a Gryffindor, but Slytherins are cool too :tongue:

No true Gryffindor would ever say that about a Slytherin ;)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath