Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, my name is John and I'm Obliterating my Diabetes

Last Saturday I came home from a concert where I made some bad choices with food, compounded by the fact that I didn’t exercise that day.

On the ride home from the concert my girlfriend said that I felt very tense, like I was angry. I was angry, and I was tense. I had worked myself into a frenzy by picturing my diabetes as a criminal in Gotham city who found himself in the wrong alley late at night, and that I was Batman.

I decided that was the last time my arm would be so numb when I fell asleep it felt like a dentist stole in to my room and shot my arm up with novocaine. I determined that Saturday was the last day my hands would lock up while feeling like someone had soaked them in juice from ghost peppers

I woke up on Sunday and bought healthy food. Chicken breast, ground turkey, whole wheat tortillas, skim milk, and peanut butter. That’s what I ate all day while keeping a close watch on my carbs.

In the afternoon I went to the gym and pummeled my diabetes with exercise. You know that scene in the Dark Knight where Joker gets locked in an interrogation room with Batman? Yeah, I just went that fucking hard on my diabetes, like every step was a slug of my fists and each slug got me closer to saving Rachel Dawes.

It’s Thursday now, I’m 5 days in to this. While I have fucked up a time or two, I’m still determined to beat this disease to a bloody fucking pulp. I haven’t missed a day of exercise. After running 3 days straight and doing some weight training, I compared current me to 15 year old me’s physical fitness. I just keep thinking “GOD’S I was strong then!†I said it the way Robert Baratheon said it when he was telling Barristan the Bold about his first kill where he slammed his warhammer into the rib cage of an unnamed highborn lord during his rebellion. There’s a longing in his words, a longing for a fight, a longing for the physical prowess he once possessed. And the more I ran on that treadmill the more I wanted my physical fitness back.

And I’m getting it back. I’m kicking Diabetes’ ass up and down the gym. All of my symptoms are weakening and I can feel myself getting stronger everyday.

Diabetes, I'm coming for you. Cue the Rains of Castamere, I'm coming at you with a vengeance not seen since Lord Tywin drowned all of houses Reyne and Tarbeck.

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion. I was like you, back when I joined I was pissed, pissed at laziness and fat, pissed and every decision I had ever made that wasn't in the interest of my fitness. Harness your rage and use it for good. Eventually it will wear off, but by then you will have made some amazing gains. One bit of advice is figure out some positive motivations for when the anger wears off. For now though:

60721246.jpg

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath