Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm Mike, and I am a 26-year-old physics graduate student in Indiana. Other relevant physical stats: height: 6'3" (190 cm), weight: 175 lbs (80 kg).

First, some history. I've never been an extremely out-of-shape individual. My childhood was running around and playing outside (coupled with SMB3 on the NES), and I actively played sports and did other activities. Unfortunately, I also never really thought about training as I got older since I never had a problem with it. I was a four-year varsity and senior captain runner for my high school cross country team, played basketball, lacrosse, and ran track as well, and didn't struggle much. That continued into college and graduate school where I "famously" (to my family after telling them about my training) ran a half marathon in 1:45 and a marathon in 4:25 without training much at all. And by much at all, I mean no running whatsoever in the month leading up to the event.

n1mjMSEl.jpg

More recently, I also completed the Tough Mudder in Michigan on, you guessed it, minimal training. That event was my first wake-up call to actually start training, since I did complete the event but struggled through most of the strength-based obstacles. I did do some strength training before, but again that dropped off over a month before the event. After, I tried getting back into rock climbing, since that had also fallen off my radar due to work, but then work became even more stressful.

So, here are my goals, which signing up here and for the mailing list has already helped me with:

• stick to a training schedule (3/4x week) over the long term
  • eat healthier (more veggies, mostly) and make sure I take in enough calories
  • build upper body strength
  • Long Term: climb Mount Moran (12,605 ft/3842 m) in the Tetons

FnaZ4NGl.jpg 8DXrfnMl.jpg

I just moved, and my apartment complex has a very basic gym available so I have some free weights available, but past that it is very limited. I like working with dumbbells anyway since I usually exercise alone and thus don't have a reliable spotter, so almost all of my exercises will be body weight or dumbbells. I have a training guide (Training for the New Alpinism) for my long-term goal, but my biggest problem is building up the strength to even be able to use it.

So, right now (and for the next couple of weeks, since I'm going on my honeymoon), I am doing basic exercises to help build up some strength before I can get back into a gym. The beginner body weight routine has been my go-to over the last week (using a ~15 lbs weight for the rows and squats), and I'll be adding in inverted rows to help with my upper body.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I'm sure I'll see you around soon!

Level 1 Ranger [ STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 3 ]

Challenges [ Setting Out ]

Welcome to the rebellion. I saw your Ranger Crest and let me be first to say welcome! We just started a six week challenge, today is day two of week 2, why not head over to the recruit section and set up your first challenge there? (We recommend that to all first timers).

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath