Forums are back in action! ×

Hello! I've been on the mailing list for years and decided today that I'd like to see what it's like to be a part of the Nerd Fitness Community. 

I'm a little unclear on all of the first steps and realize I missed the deadline for the current 6-Week Challenge (by about 1 1/2 weeks) so I have some time to poke around and see how this clock ticks.

So, assuming I should add some info about me:

I live in the Detroit area. 

I got married last October (2014) and was a chubby bride which I always feared would happen. 

Which brings me to why I'm here, the weight started coming on around the same time puberty hit (and I've hovered at around 100-150 lbs overweight since my junior year of high school). Name a conventional or crash diet and I have tried it (and failed). 

I've recently achieved awareness of the concept of changing small things FOREVER and not feeling like I'm deprived and suffering (and it's working!)

I sometimes blog about my journey, maybe I'll share that link someday. 

I'm looking forward to being a part of a supportive community of like minded folk.

Whole30 - 30 days down 0 to go...

100%
100%

You know the first rule of combat? Shoot them before they shoot you. - Faye Valentine

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70883-six-week-challenge-round-1-ready-fight/

Link to my blog for day to day rambling: http://melsuarez79.blogspot.com/

Welcome!  I'm new myself.  Gotta say, though...folks here are amazingly helpful.  Post, keep yourself accountable, and do well.  You'll acheive your goals in due time.  :) 

• Like 1

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

I've recently achieved awareness of the concept of changing small things FOREVER and not feeling like I'm deprived and suffering (and it's working!)

I wanted to elaborate on this a bit.

Beginning in July 2015, I started incorporating a protocol of:

Intermittent Fasting (nothing after 8pm or before 12pm)

Kinda Paleo (not sure what to call it when it's just no packaged anything, and no wheat, sugar, or potatoes)

Doing Something (walk, bike, yoga, chase my cat, SOMETHING where my body moves more that "sit in office chair, stand up from office chair, repeat as necessary).

Ways this IF/KP/DS thing has been "working":

I am exponentially more aware of what hunger feels like and I know which foods fuel my body best and which ones are expendable (hello root veggies, bye bye diet pop!)

When I move, I feel it changing my structure way more than when I was doing calorie reduction or several small meals...

I'm never sore... I swear, I went to a two day music festival in the bazillion degree heat and must've walked to, and from, Mordor. I was so exhausted when I got home on day 1 I was sure I was toast for the next day and not one muscle ached... my feet were a different story though, I've got to figure out how to grow some hobbit feet. 

These changes were so easy to make, and never seemed to be a punishment or struggle to follow, so I am certain the chances of sustaining the new lifestyle will be a piece of... steak

I have lost 6.8lbs (of the 100lbs I want to lose) in the 5 weeks I have been doing this and I am so excited that the scale keeps going down a little at a time and not mega dropping. Experience has taught me that big drops only mean that I won't be able to keep up the good work. :)

Just wanted to share a little more about what I'm working on. Thinking I'll put it in 6-Week Challenge format and post to Recruits sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the "welcomes"!

• Like 1

100%
100%

You know the first rule of combat? Shoot them before they shoot you. - Faye Valentine

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/70883-six-week-challenge-round-1-ready-fight/

Hello! Nice to see another new/old rebel. I have started up myself right now and wish you all the best on your journey!

I have also struggled with my weight for a long time and i can agree, that making these small sticking changes really makes a difference! I feel much better than with any diet or other "good advice" i have been given over the years.

• Like 1
Ulfgard the level 1 Khajiit
Current Challenge

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. - Terry Pratchett

Hi Ulfgard,

Thank you and best wishes to you as well.

Ha ha, yeah... I just LOVE the amount of unsolicited advice I get from people. Especially those that have no idea what they are talking about. :)

I am super grateful, so far, for this community. These people seem to have the same or equal/opposite issues with health and fitness that I have grappled with for a very long time and it feels good to see everyone at their different levels of success reaching back to help those of us on the lower levels. :)

100%
100%