Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from around the world

Hey guys-

Today is my first day going Paleo after spending a little over 3 weeks reading all I can find about the lifestyle. Most of the stories I find here are just AMAZING!

Sooo... Female, graduate student enrolled in an MBA course that requires (what a great requirement) us to travel and study for a year. Right now I'm in Bangkok and will be here until March. I have never been a cook, and I realize this will be a challenge specially traveling.

My weight story pretty much the same as everyone else... struggled all my life, especially when I moved to the U.S. from South America. Diet pills, Weight Watchers, soup diet...and so on. A little over a year and a half ago I got bariatric surgery and never got down to my goal weight. I lost 52lbs and plateaued there. 6 months ago I had my gallbladder removed and unlike most people who lose weight and have to rush to the potty if they eat fats, nothing happens to me. I gained weight and I can eat however many french fries I want (or my stomach allows) and not have to use the bathroom! I'm pretty sure it's the diet- I never liked counting calories and ate the carbs I could (not as much because I just can't, but carbs are easy to eat). Since the beginning of the program I have gained over 20lbs (4 months ago and 4 countries later). Now my goal is to loose those 20lbs plus another 20lbs I never lost after surgery.

I even have stopped posting so many pictures of my trip for family and friends... I can't believe I've gained so much. S A D While in China I googled "losing weight while traveling" and came across NF. I love the concept, the stories, it just all makes sense.

So that's a little bit about my story... I've never written so much about my weight, but I can tell how supportive you guys are to each other and it's awesome. I have 7 months left of the program. I want to enjoy every new place, every new experience...and lately I just get tired and get through the day. Not good! And I want to come home a complete different person! =)

If you have ideas, suggestions, questions, or anything to help me thorough this I appreciate it!

Hi there. Welcome to the nerd sardine can. Looks like you've searched high and low for a way to reach your goals. It is a life-long skill to get back in the saddle when you've been through so much. Seems like you've been bucked off so many times that the light at the end of the tunnel may seem to be receding rather than getting closer. Still I love the hope you seem to have in reaching your goals and that gives me confidence that you'll get there.

Don't ever let that hope be extinguished. Try to set achievable goals before setting ones that you really need to reach hard for. Having a store of successes in your pocket helps in getting through rough patches in your journey. I recall wondering whether I would cross the threshold of my goals again. I developed mental strength in not giving up on these and focusing on those things that would help me get there.

Life doesn't conform to your schedule so remember to schedule flexibility. It's a hard road, but one that's rewarding once you've walked it. Visualize other aspects of your life such as family, loved ones, relationships, career, well-being, etc and make sure you don't make tradeoffs that you will regret later.

Research, plan, execute, improve. This is my blueprint for working to achieve my goals. Good luck.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Life doesn't conform to your schedule so remember to schedule flexibility. It's a hard road, but one that's rewarding once you've walked it. Visualize other aspects of your life such as family, loved ones, relationships, career, well-being, etc and make sure you don't make tradeoffs that you will regret later. Research, plan, execute, improve.

Thank you, ETFnerd. Your thoughts are very inspiring and it is exactly what I needed to hear!