Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings and salutations

Hi all. My name is Nicki, and I stumbled across NF about a week ago. I love how relatable the team has made fitness. FINALLY I understand how to better myself.

I was recently diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, which is a rare bone disease. Basically when I turn 40 (like 10 years from now) my bones will begin to fuse together at the joints causing loads of pain. Not to mention I will get to spend the rest of my life a literal stick figure,lol.

There is no cure, and minimal treatment options to make pain tolerable. Basically "take two aspirin and see me in the morning" kinda thing. So far all they can tell me is exercise is my only hope at delaying the effects. If I can stay active and limber the joints won't have a chance to fuse right? Here's hoping!

That's part of the reason I loved stumbling into this group. Exercise and I have a horrible relationship. Right now my goals are to not end up as above, and to be able to climb stairs without being winded. Or play on the playground with my 2 kids for more than 5 min at a time.

I've signed up for the emails, have been doing my 10 min walks, and just started the basic body weight training. Man my thighs are so mad at me right now! I know I have a ways to go before becoming the assassin I wanna be (chosen based on my favorite novel character Grimalkin from the Wardstone Chronicles) but each day gets me closer.

Thanks for being there guys and giving us nerds an achievable, attainable, badass way to level up and be amazing.

• Like 3

You have to be odd to be #1

~Dr.Theodor Geisel

Welcome to the rebellion. You have very good motivation, and it sounds like you're doing everything you can to stay healthy. You might want to look into anything with the word mobility in it.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So I'm going into the 48 hour period of my strength training, and my thigh muscles are still sore. I ran 2 full minutes yesterday and they felt fine, but this morning anything that requires squatting down is difficult. My workout isn't until 6 or so this evening, but are those muscles still supposed to ache this long?

You have to be odd to be #1

~Dr.Theodor Geisel

Yep, especially at first muscle soreness can be a real pain :playful: For your workout, if you are still sore, best plan is to go ahead and start it. Most times, it starts to feel better as you move and work out. If it starts to feel worse, or you feel sharp pain, then cut your workout short and do some yoga or stretching exercises. If you can get out and walk some do that, it will help.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Howdy!  Welcome to the Rebellion!  Definitely do lots of mobility stuff.  Yoga's a great idea...but beware.  My first and last attempt at it resulted in a hernia (curse you Warrior pose/sweaty foot!).  Seriously though, find stuff to do that you like so you'll actually stick to it.  Get moving, have fun, eat healthy, reap the rewards of your Epic Quest.  :)

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Welcome to the Rebellion! I agree with Kinger because my first thought was work Yoga into your routine! I must admit reading your intro made me feel horrible about your diagnosis but thankfully it is not a death sentence. Even though you say there is minimal treatment and no cure, it sounds like you are trying whatever will give you the best quality of life and that's important. While I am just getting back into fitness myself, if there is anything I can help you find the answer to I'd be more than happy to help research it for you!

• Like 1

"If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail."