Forums are back in action! ×

First Pullup? You be the judge!

A long time ago (in a galaxy not that far away) I told Steve I'd post a video of my first pullup (with dancing). Thing is, I'm not 100% sure this counts as a full pullup just yet. I can't tell if I need a few more inches or not (let me know when you're done laughing). So I request the unbiased eye of Nerd Fitdom.

and let me know what you think (I even started voting on site. Like for yes, and dislike for "no, keep trying").

Either way, i feel really good about my progress (and about my homemade pull up bar).

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Awesome job! You may have lifted your chin right at the end to pull you up over the final inch, just notice it because that is what I always do.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

It's definitely close. Could do with an inch or two more at the top and it looked like you propelled yourself upwards a bit at the beginning (although I may be wrong, hard to tell), if you can try lifting your feet off the floor before doing the pull-up so you're doing them from a dead hang rather than bouncing into it

a) I clearly did lift my ch in, though if it helps I had no idea I was doing it. That's just one of the myriad of things my body does when i'm abusing it.

B) Not sure how much lift I got at the beginning. I tried to minimize it, but the bar is a hair high (that is part of the flaw with having your own bar on the ceiling).

c) @grosby: you're allowed to vote even if you're not there yet. I still trust the eyes of nerd-fitness.

d) Clearly I have a career as an internet dancer ahead of me.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

a) I clearly did lift my ch in, though if it helps I had no idea I was doing it. That's just one of the myriad of things my body does when i'm abusing it.

B) Not sure how much lift I got at the beginning. I tried to minimize it, but the bar is a hair high (that is part of the flaw with having your own bar on the ceiling).

c) @grosby: you're allowed to vote even if you're not there yet. I still trust the eyes of nerd-fitness.

d) Clearly I have a career as an internet dancer ahead of me.

I am not aware when I lift my chin either. The only way I know later is I get a weird tweak in my neck muscle that's not really supposed to be in use in the pull up. I have to think about semi tucking my chin. And I still may be doing it, since I haven't watched myself do it. I say it counts as a pull up still.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You definitely pushed off to start (I know because to get a full pullup - palms out - I pretty much always have to do the exact same thing).

Pay attention to your head position as you go up. Tipping your head up actually deactivates certain muscles in your back and makes you weaker.

That said, I would still call it a pull up and you should count it.

Level 1 Human Ranger STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 3
Twitter | Google+ | tumblr

I'd say (but not vote) no ... but it wasn't long after I got to that stage that I could manage a full pullup without the neck stretch (that looks a lot like my #6 or #7, which is why I'm stubbornly stuck at 5). Don't think I'd ever trust me weight to something I made though!

Congrats and keep at it.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

so close, and all sorts of awesome

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter