Forums are back in action! ×

My trip to St. Louis and the Cavebear (Aelinn) clan.

About 2 weeks ago I was up in St Louis on vacation. I figured that while I was up there I would attempt to track the Cavebear clan, this is a group of wildlings that have been rumored to exist in the Southwest parts of St Louis.

When it was confirmed that they'd be willing to have me over, I wasn't sure if it was to HAVE dinner, or to BE dinner. I figured the gamble would be worth it... I was not disappointed, and given that I'm writing this post, I wasn't dinner.

When I arrived at the rumored location of the clan, there was a manmade cave-like structure that welcomed me, I'm not sure what I expected given the name Cavebear... though the bear part comes into the picture later.

After initial introductions were made, I was introduced to a rather interesting custom. "The watching of the chickens" This was sort of a meditation style event, in which we watched chickens as they grazed, the more it went on the more relaxing and zen like it became...

My perspective of the "Watching of the chickens"

med_gallery_18131_992_943364.jpg

After the watching of the chickens, came dinner. Dinner was good for an almost carnivore such as myself. Chicken... I'm pretty sure it wasn't the ones I was watching, Sausage, bacon wrapped asparagus, all washed down with a glass of home-made Kombucha.

After that was just hanging out and conversation, the younger ones did their own things, with one (Clara) turning me into her portable jungle gym. While an interesting activity, I had a ton of fun with it and this is where the bear part comes in. One of the activities consisted of a "Keep-away" style of game where I kept a stuffed animal away from Clara, eventually give it back, and proceed to get growled at. This appears to be a form of thank-you, since she would promptly get her stuffed animal stolen away again, then we'd start the whole song and dance again. :-)

After the physical activities, I was treated to some of their legends. One being the ice dragon, I do remember a fire dragon as well, this piqued my interest as I would like to see a dragon in person and was lucky enough to even get a picture of said ice dragon.... this one is laying eggs.

med_gallery_18131_992_473740.jpg

After some more recreation, and feats of strength with a "slosh tube" my night had come to an end. It was time to return to my hotel, and prepare for the next day. In the end, I had a ton of fun, and if I'm ever in the area, I will definitely stop in again, I recommend you all do the same. Though I wasn't able to leave without a ceremonial monster mask. It is said that this mask comes to life when you're not looking and his name is James...

My mask, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

med_gallery_18131_992_342882.jpg

• Like 5

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Sounds like a great trip!  And the bear keep-away is great!  

The whole trip was awesome, I've got probably 1000 pictures that I still have to sort through. I had a blast...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

We couldn't eat you, you fixed the monitor. We need you alive!

Plus, surviving the girl-cub's boundary-less exuberance is sort of a test. You passed.

Come back soon! :D

So the plan was to eat me, until I saved the monitor. Well, next time break something else I can fix.

And ya, the boundaries were broken early, but having been around kids my whole life, I truly did enjoy myself, your faces were a bonus... :-)

• Like 1

My first challenge

We couldn't eat you, you fixed the monitor. We need you alive!

Plus, surviving the girl-cub's boundary-less exuberance is sort of a test. You passed.

Come back soon! :D

Another St Louisan!  (is that a word?  it is now!)  That makes 3-4 of us in StL that I know of.  We're multiplying! 

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™