Forums are back in action! ×

Should I strength train AND lose weight at the same time? I am a 41 year old woman.

Guest Carjack

You don't need a routine or to separate strength from cardio.

Lay an adjustable dumbbell somewhere and clean & press it for ten minutes. That is a workout.

Pick something that involves resistance (push ups, weights, etc.) and make up your mind to do it frequently.

You don't need a routine or to separate strength from cardio.

Lay an adjustable dumbbell somewhere and clean & press it for ten minutes. That is a workout.

Pick something that involves resistance (push ups, weights, etc.) and make up your mind to do it frequently.

Part of the problem with weights is that while I like the idea I do not have anyone to tell me wether or not I am doing it correctly.

I have seen some you tube videos. Even though doing body weight is very hard for me right now I think I have the basic form down.

It is just STAYING in form that is hard. I suppose I could try watching the how to do handweight videos until I can memorize the correct form. I am a visual learner type so that is how I do things.I have tried to exercise with videos while watching them and it is very difficult for me to keep up. I sure cannot afford a Personal trainer so this is what I have to do.

Well I will let you all know how it goes! Cheers!

Guest Carjack

Keeping form is not much of a problem either because tiredness, soreness, muscle failure and all that don't do a anything.

What gets results for a beginner is doing some reps at a high intensity, getting them all done without undue strain, feeling good after and doing more next time.

Your gains come from increases of sets, reps or intensity whether you go until form breaks down or not.

If you have an adjustable dumbbell or will to do bodyweight training, I can coach you through some exercises using YouTube videos I found and tips on how to learn moves more easily, and you can do them at your own pace.

Keeping form is not much of a problem either because tiredness, soreness, muscle failure and all that don't do a anything.

What gets results for a beginner is doing some reps at a high intensity, getting them all done without undue strain, feeling good after and doing more next time.

Your gains come from increases of sets, reps or intensity whether you go until form breaks down or not.

If you have an adjustable dumbbell or will to do bodyweight training, I can coach you through some exercises using YouTube videos I found and tips on how to learn moves more easily, and you can do them at your own pace.

I do not have an adjustable dumbbell at this time so it will have to be bodyweight.that would be great thanks. I have seen some videos on you tube and spark people so I may have already seen some of them.

Guest Carjack

I'll give a few options with just bodyweight to start.

Air squat:

Observe the position:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnVhLfpY0du73kcsSpg8DzfFYQotq2sfyLaWseYHO5-68qbeTK9wimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvW9nYGmNpg8au3oT-VazfT2WIeBETTJsgv9PTnCgRcKaxl9q0

Feet shoulder width apart.

Toes pointing a bit outward.

Knees in line with toes and not bowing in.

Heels down.

Put your hands together at your lap and squat down like that until your hands touch the floor and you're between your legs.

If you're flexible, you can touch your hamstrings to your calves with your knees pointing the same as your toes and just sit there comfortably. If you can't get that far, sit in the bottom a lot and keep at it.

Now that you tried that, squat down over and over and keep your hands wherever they want to go. Guys on YouTube do everything to stick their butt back like sitting in a chair and stick their hands out, which is unnecessary since you back has no weight on it.

These three are doing it right however, because they don't care for that sitting backwards arms pointed nonsense:

Push up:

armypushup.jpg

Stay flat as a board with elbows in.

Push up and down all the way.

Can do conventional, kneeling, hands on box. Whatever your fitness level allows.

Routine:

Just do any of them until tired, rest a minute and do a few more. Don't have to fail. Get a decent amount done and you'll gain the endurance to do more over the next few weeks.

Alternate squats and push ups.

Challenge your kids to a squatting or squat jumping contest.

Did that work? Nothing you don't already know?

Hey tonight I warmed up with about 40 jumping jacks and managed to do about three knee push ups and a couple of sit ups. Maybe I will do the squats before I go to bed. I talked to my husband about the paleo diet yesterday and he is still concerned about the cost but I told him about Steves article on Nerd Fitness and he agreed to read it later. He has not yet but I will remind him in a day or two. I am willing to try it for a month or so to see if it jump starts my weight loss again and helps get me stronger. I have started reading The Paleo Solution and I have The Paleo Diet book. I will probobly get the cook book too if the diet works out for me.

I found that I do have enough room in my bedroom to do the pushups and in there I can close the door and not have my super affectionate cat try to climb on me while working out. There are less distractions in there and I need that while I am getting used to doing this new thing.