Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a nerd, and this is my favourite site on the Citadel, err, I mean internet

Hi all,

I''m not usually a big forum poster (or participant in anything overly public...), but this seems like a great place to start! I'm a 28 year old Aussie male with fitness and weight that has become steadily worse over the last few years. I am committed to getting back into shape and looking good at the beach!

Goals

Short term - lose approximately 10kgs by the end of this year, or drop a shirt size. Most of this will be losing the beer gut, but that means cutting down on beer :(

Long term (2 years) - I don't really have a target weight, but I want to get back to my peak form from when I was working a purely physical manual labour job. I've never been a bulky guy, but I was fit and lean before, and will be so once more. 

Mental - I need to regain my willpower that has been lost over the years. I find that too often I am saying - I worked damn hard today, I deserve a treat!

Battle Plans

My friends and I went on a fitness kick a couple of years ago and lost about 10 kgs in 10 weeks. We did this by absolutely pushing and denying ourselves of all the good stuff in life. The problem was that when we stopped, it was way too hard for us to reach that level of motivation again. That's the main reason Nerd Fitness stuck out; we need to change our daily habits so we aren't just exercising/eating healthy because we need to, but because we want to and enjoy the results. At the moment I am pushing a few of my friends to get back into it as well, just need to make sure I don't push them too hard and turn them into enemies....I may not be the friend they want at the moment, but I will be the friend they need!

Exercise - I tried the beginners body weight circuit last week, and it did the job of making me exhausted so will stick with that for a while. Am looking into a gym that my friend is at, and hopefully we can keep each other motivated. Strength training seems like something I could get around, but I will still stick with the things I enjoy like going for a bike ride or shooting some hoops.

Diet - the bane of my existence. I have cut down from 4+ coffees a day (mochas with marshmallows) to 1-2 coffees (latte/flat white with one sugar only). Cutting back on the junk food, portion sizes and booze will be the real challenge. I don't go out often, but when we do all go out for a night (or stay in for a night and watch movies as is the more popular option) there is usually a lot of junk food and drink on the table. Am aiming for 1-2 junk meals a week only, and limiting that to when I am out with friends. Baby steps right?

Other - I've been interested in taking up a martial art of some form. Never really seen the appeal of MMA (but I do respect their skill and conditioning), am looking for something a bit more old school with a focus on mental discipline and some cultural roots. Long term though, so will stick with just general fitness for now. 

Other Nerdy Stuff

I game a lot, mainly RPGs where I play exclusively the Tank/Warrior/Paladin class with the biggest armour/weapon/sword and board. Despite this I am more suited to the Ranger class in real life; I want to be functionally strong and fit. My favourite game/universe has to be Mass Effect, and I am aiming for my future body image to be a combination of Commander Shepard and Prince Vegeta. I think (hope) that will work...

Otherwise I'm heavily into Star Wars, love my comics (Marvel & DC, my favourite see-saws over the years) and am interested in a whole heap of fantasy/sci-fi stuff. Play a bit of table-top games (mainly D&D where I play, you guessed it, the tank) when time permits.

Not sure if this is too long/short, but I'm looking forward to beginning this quest and levelling up with fellow nerds!