Forums are back in action! ×

No, get your head out of the gutter, that's NOT the kind of performance anxiety I'm talking about.

I have signed up for a charity bike ride that will take place on Sept 10-16, 900km in 7 days. I've been cycling to and from work since early April (20km each way) so it is not like I've just started to ride. I don't know any of the other 17 riders (they are from around other areas of the province of Ontario, Canada) but it sounds like a number of them are quite experienced riders and able to do this ride quite handily. I have done several 100km rides over the past couple of years but never more than 110km and only a couple of times back to back long days: this ride will average ~150km for the middle 5 days, the first and last are shorter (100 and 50 respectively).

I'm scared, I'm really scared that I won't be able to do it even though we have the legitimate out by hopping in the SAG wagon that will be following us with our gear and I'm told that there's no shame in doing that. I'm so scared in fact that I can barely get out for training rides, which, because I live 300-400km away from many of the others, I have no one to train with. This weekend was supposed to be two decent training rides of about 90km each day but I found other things to do, and didn't get out.

How do I get past this? I know I have very little time left but whatever I can do between now and then would likely help.

Challenge Logs: Current Challenge 3 2 1 Battlelog

Origin of Name:

FN: Julian -> Jules -> Family Jewels -> Family

LN: Rickards = Canadian brand of Beer -> Beer

Call me "FamilyBeer" (or just Jules)

You're always able to do more than you think you can on race day.  You might surprise yourself and be able to cruise along easily.  Like you said, you don't know much about those other riders because you haven't trained with them.  Maybe you're on their level, despite what you've heard they've done in the past.  Who knows?

Even if you get out there and things suck, you'll STILL be able to struggle through more than you think you can.

• Like 1

Jprev is right, you will be surprised by how much your body can do. From a mental standpoint, you are training for this. When it comes to the ride day, you go out there and bike. Don't worry about who else is out there - go and do your best. Even if you fail, you will be able to use this experience and become even better. 

Also it never hurts to make some friends at the end of the ride; maybe some of the experienced riders wouldn't mind sharing their training tips.

• Like 1

Level 2 Badass.

Brawn 3 | Agility 0 | Intellect 2 | Cunning 1 | Willpower 2 | Presence 2

Attribute Systems are arbitrary and this one makes sense to me.

Challenge 9/14 - 10/25 | Challenge 11/2 - 12/14 | Training Journal

Pull-up Progress: Percent of my weight I can do a pullup with

59%
59%

I wouldn't have a problem doing this on my own as a tour, even self-sufficient (carrying all my stuff, not have a van hauling it) because I wouldn't have a time schedule to meet or a minimum speed to maintain (this is related to the time schedule we're expected to follow). On my own, I could get up at 6am and leave by 7 on longer days and ride longer too. However, sometimes we meet up with the local charity office at 8am before we go out, sometimes we need to be at a charity office (the charity is United Way, the ride is http://b4uw.ca)at noon or at 4pm. The distance isn't as much of an issue for me (yes, it is an issue or a concern) but not as much as being able to keep up: we were expected to be able to ride at an minimum average rate of 22.5kmh (14mph) which I can do for my training rides (up to 108km, averaging 24-27kmh) but I haven't been able to do long rides back to back.

Anyway, I'll just keep doing whatever I can and hope that I will be able to find it in me to keep up with both the speed and distance on the ride.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 1

Challenge Logs: Current Challenge 3 2 1 Battlelog

Origin of Name:

FN: Julian -> Jules -> Family Jewels -> Family

LN: Rickards = Canadian brand of Beer -> Beer

Call me "FamilyBeer" (or just Jules)

I don't do long bike rides, but it feels like this thing will be doable to you.  I think you have every right to show up and get done what you get done.

In contrast, my first triathlon was this tiny community thing that only people who prep for it all year would normally know about.  I trained to finish while everyone else eyed their record times.  Needless to say, I was instantly outclassed.  Had to push my hardest just to stay bottom of the pack without getting swallowed by every later group.  BUT!  It worked out.  And yours will be much better than that, because 1) you've trained, and 2) the parts you haven't done in training sound within your hitherto un-quantified event-day reserves.

• Like 1