Forums are back in action! ×

The "me" in my head is much different

I was looking for information to help my college daughter to jumpstart her nutrition (she's a swimmer) and I came across this site. It looked like it could help me. I'm 52, a mom of a 19 and 17 year old. I've been a stay-at-home mom for 17 years and went from 130 to 165 lbs in that time. Now I'm back to working full time. I look at that list of why people fail and, oh my Lord, I fit into so many of those freakin' categories. How can I have such healthy kids and be such a slug myself?

I still see myself as that 130 pound woman with great legs. The world ain't seen that in years. I look in the mirror and it's not who I believe I am. My kids and husband are so fit - they've been to Philmont twice, Northern Tier, and so many other high adventure places I can't count. I never join them. Sometimes I feel it's too late for me. Wah, wah, waaaaaah.

I got a personal trainer in hopes of getting more fit. They had a program where you could get $10 back for every pound you lose over the 6 month program. I fell for that and fell on my face. It was strength training. I got a lot stronger but I didn't lose a single pound. I'm assuming I gained muscle weight but it couldn't have been that much. The only eating habit I changed was to cut out diet soda (which I've slipped on more than I like to admit in the last month). 

So I'm starting over... again.  I want to be strong, but I want to be healthy too. I want to FEEL better.

• Like 1

Welcome! I think sometimes as moms we're very good at helping others take care of ourselves but forget to take care of ourselves too. But it is not too late, you can do it!  I just turned 50 and am stronger than I was at 30.

We have a thread, for those of us, who are, eh   older wiser than most of the young uns on this board  :) http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68642-chronologically-blessed/Come over and say hi.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I look at that list of why people fail and, oh my Lord, I fit into so many of those freakin' categories.

I did too. I was embarrassed of myself that so many were things I have done in the past. I've just started and NF makes it so much easier than before. Knowing that it will work if I keep on it is now what drives me. In the past I never had faith in what I was doing so I failed. That no longer applies.

Weight Loss Goal
40%
40%
Starting Weight:105kg, Current Weight:97