Forums are back in action! ×

Make the pie smaller, it's just as tasty right?

Two and a half weeks from race day, I decided to cut from the marathon to the half marathon.  Same day, same race, but half the distance.

Looking at my results for my long runs, the numbers just weren't there.  I struggled with runs of 15 miles, which did not bode well for 26.2.  I have come a long way, no doubt, but I started my training too little and too late.  Even though I booked the race six months ago, I haven't really gotten serious about training until the last couple months.  I kept being too scared to go for workouts, so I procrastinated.

I'm young and healthy, thank god, but not a particularly gifted runner.  Unsurprisingly, three months of training isn't enough for couch to 26.  Six months might do it, 9 months almost certainly.  Maybe I'll set my sights on a marathon in the spring, although the thought of more hours and hours running doesn't thrill me.  I don't hate running, but I really have better things to do than 3-hour workouts.  Maybe I'll shorten my workouts and do some more cross training, and try distances again later.

I'm very sad, but I've been depressed anyway lately.  Turning 30, still single, unemployed, no clue what to do with my life.  Oh well, a 13-mile race is not a bad way to waste the weekend, is it?  I could be doing worse, but that doesn't really make me feel better.  I could be doing a lot better, too ^^

anyways, trying not to feel like a quitter.  Words of wisdom, anyone?

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Oh, honey.

You are running a fricking half marathon.

In the United States, there were barely over two million half marathon finishers last year -- and that doesn't account for those who ran more than one race.

So, let's see... you're going to be in the top 2/3 of 1% of the population. At age 30.

A friend of mine who's been running for years decided to enter a marathon. She trained with coaching for a year before the race.

If I understand your post correctly, you've gone from the couch to a half in about three months' worth of training.

And you think you're a quitter?

Oh, honey.

Here are my words of wisdom: You. Fricking. ROCK. You are a natural wonder. Go and revel in your superhuman capacity for running.

And if you never feel like running again afterward, who cares? You'll still be amazing, and you'll go do other amazing things.

dont-forget-that-you-are-amazing-and-are

Seriously.

I am in awe of you.

• Like 2

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

Rescaling your goals is by no means the sign of a quitter. It is a sign of sense and reason, and way better than demanding too much from yourself.

Having sense and reason also means that you can trust yourself that you will find the direction in which your life should be going. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Running a half marathon is in my eyes already pretty ambitious! Not exactly to be associated with the term "quitter" .... :)

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

I suppose in retrospect, even with a really good walking base (which I had; "couch" was an exaggeration, I actually walk several miles a day), 3 months to get ready for a marathon was a tad unrealistic.  Even with a fantastic Constitution bonus, there are some rolls I just can't expect to make.  (But, dammit, 3 months is a long time!  They had 16-week training plans, was 12 weeks so unrealistic?  whiiiiiiine.)

... so yeah.  Back to trying to make good use of the oxygen I consume, I guess.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

From the perspective of someone who overreached in the last 6WC and will now spend the next 6WC with goals involving physical therapy and calorie restriction to account for my sudden decrease in activity... I really think your choice was wise. You'll be able to focus on the environment of the race and enjoy it instead of worrying about whether you're pushing too hard. And there are going to be lots and lots of potential marathon dates in your future, if running a marathon is what you want to do. It's ok -- it's great, in fact -- to give your body more time to catch up with your indomitable will. :)

• Like 1

balance in mind ... body in motion ... making inertia my bitch

Lv.2 warmonkey | 2 STR, 3 STA, 3 DEX, 5 CON, 4 WIS, 2 CHA

Challenges: Current | Previous

From couch to half in 3 months...that is nothing to scoff at!  You just might have loads of fun running the half.  I see no point in suffering.  Take more time so when you do run that full you will enjoy it instead of struggling.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile