Forums are back in action! ×

I seriously think I'm dying...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

Monday...during my big mid winter muscle madness challenge i seriously pulled a muscle or something in my lower back. it is the muscle but it's killing me. i took all week off of working out until yesterday. i was feeling better so i went to the gym just to get my heart rate up. didn't do any heavy lifting at all. now my back is killing me again. It doesn't hurt when i get up and walk around. or when i do jumping jacks or any of that stuff but laying down in bed? HORRIBLE. sitting in a chair 90% of the time. AWFUL!

No clue what to do. anyone have some experience because i start training for wrestling in a week and i'll be damned if I won't be able to do it. EFF That.

As unofficial resident medic I though I'd chime in on this thread.

Back pain worse when lying flat is unusual - and seems as you say unlikely to represent disc or nerve root related pain. Presumably the pain isn't going into your buttocks or your legs (you didn't say). Is it worse with lateral stretching (http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXRLMesdNl2Rnh9snODuHfMAtDybYHhIJk3RbCljX84FGoR1qw), or sideways twisting motions (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSicoF0QD2nUBQ6BRk6ikwScB98A2Gdnq2JlTGLtyo8V1ozl2TVVQ) or neither? Did going to the gym actually make it worse or was it getting worse anyway?

The only alarm bell faintly going off in the back of my head is that you say it's worse on lying flat which is a typical problem with ankylosing spondylitis. You look to be the right age and you're the right sex. It's extremely unlikely, but there is literature saying it can flare up after trauma or exercise. Worth getting checked out for though, for sure.

It's probably a muscle sprain or tear, in which case, take it easy, lift light if at all, stay mobile, and stretch gently. You will not get better by wrestling :)

If you were in the UK I'd say come book into our A&E and I'll take a look at you but I'm thinking it's a bit of a trek for you :)

Guest Snake McClain

As unofficial resident medic I though I'd chime in on this thread.

Back pain worse when lying flat is unusual - and seems as you say unlikely to represent disc or nerve root related pain. Presumably the pain isn't going into your buttocks or your legs (you didn't say). Is it worse with lateral stretching (http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXRLMesdNl2Rnh9snODuHfMAtDybYHhIJk3RbCljX84FGoR1qw), or sideways twisting motions (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSicoF0QD2nUBQ6BRk6ikwScB98A2Gdnq2JlTGLtyo8V1ozl2TVVQ) or neither? Did going to the gym actually make it worse or was it getting worse anyway?

The only alarm bell faintly going off in the back of my head is that you say it's worse on lying flat which is a typical problem with ankylosing spondylitis. You look to be the right age and you're the right sex. It's extremely unlikely, but there is literature saying it can flare up after trauma or exercise. Worth getting checked out for though, for sure.

It's probably a muscle sprain or tear, in which case, take it easy, lift light if at all, stay mobile, and stretch gently. You will not get better by wrestling :)

If you were in the UK I'd say come book into our A&E and I'll take a look at you but I'm thinking it's a bit of a trek for you :)

it is worse when laying down yes. It does not go into my buttocks or legs at all. It does not get worse with twisting or any stretching whatsoever. Yesterday pull ups didn't hurt it. squats didn't hurt it (weighted or otherwise), overhead press did not either. nor did the barbell rows. The pain came back when i did back bridges ( http://cdn-upimages.exercise.com/video-library/thumbnail/back-bridge_-_step_1.max.v1.png ) . Then when i lay down it hurts and i get stiff. like i can't quite lift my legs off because it's so stiff. also when sitting it sort of throbs but when i first stand up im stiff until i walk a bit. I guess i should go to the doctor huh?

thing is I have to wrestle. like..i just have to. there is no getting around it. so i have....8 1/2 days to recover. lol

although i've always wanted to see the UK it just isn't in the budget today my friend.

Guest Snake McClain

okay i seriously think i have ankylosing spondylitis. I have all the symptoms. the hip pain in the buttock area i've had for years. the eye inflmation. holy crap. Seriously i have every one of these symptoms and have for a couple years.