Forums are back in action! ×

Sick but active?

I've had a trend of work out patterns getting disrupted/derailed when I get sick. Hard to feel up to jogging to work when you're congested and can't breathe well. I know rest is the best thing to get well quickly but what are ideas for light workouts to stay somewhat active while sick but not impede getting well so I don't have a routine completely fall apart when I get sick?

Or just ideas to make sure you jump back into the saddle after not working out for 3-5 days because of being sick.

Exercising with a cold won't hurt you. Just keep your hear rate reasonable. I would suggest 45 minutes of Stretching/Yoga/Light Martial arts type cardio [throwing kicks and punches won't get your hear right crazy if you avoid jumping.]

Also, don't beat yourself up for taking time off. To jump back in the saddle, wake up and exercise first thing in the morning. You always feel better in the morning when you are sick anyhow.

I'll be watching this thread as well, I've been sick and not even doing normal farm chores until today and I know I need to get back on the exercise boat but just don't feel ready. I still can't breathe well!

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I've always had more success with cutting something out and getting almost too much sleep for a few days to get over being sick, I was never really the one too work out while sick. But my "sick" was most peoples "I think I might die" feeling so I used to battle through colds like they weren't there.

Taking a little time off wont hurt you as much as you think but if you really want to do some workouts you could do leg lifts while laying on the couch or in bed. While sitting at work just roll your hips forward and tighten your abs, that will give you a good workout after a few minutes. You could do that one all the time too. Little things throughout the day would be a good thing if you're really feeling down in the dumps.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead!" - Barney Stinson

"I don't care who you are, how cool you seem to be, how old you are, what title you have, or how much money you make. When a child hands you a toy phone and says 'It's for you.' you damn well better pick it up and respond with 'Hello?'."

Life is a marathon, treat every day like it's a sprint