Forums are back in action! ×

Did anyone order an epically slow vegetarian runner from Australia?

Hi all! I'm Cathy a.k.a. Thermy. Finally took the plunge and enlisted with the Rebellion, even though I've been one of those creepy lurkers for a while.

I started running in September 2009. I immediately loved the feeling of progression that I never felt in my handful of sessions on the stationary bike. My only problem was horrible shin splints that kept my running curtailed for two years. The longest I ever managed to run was a couple of 10km races and even that was a struggle with the shin splints. I tried everything (the list is embarrassingly long). I kept having to take time off running for each 'cure' so it was very disheartening feeling like I was continuously back at square one.

My next step was the expensive sports podiatrist for gait analysis and very pricey orthotic insoles. I've been a poor uni student for a very long time (did a Science degree in Microbiology, then a Public Health degree and now I've settled into a Nursing degree) so this was going to cost two months of total income, minimum. I decided to go the opposite route and bought a pair of Vibrams in late October. It's been wonderful and not a sign of the shin splints recurring. It's exciting to be able to plan for longer distances. I have a 5.5km 'race' on January 8th, a 10km on March 18th and the plan is a half marathon on the 30th of June.

I've got quite a bit of body fat to lose too. So the remainder of my heath and fitness goals include cleaning up my diet and getting back into the kettlebell and bodyweight exercises. I'm looking forward to getting to know the rest of the Rebellion. :)

[i'm CathytheSkeptic on fitocracy]

Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Welcome! I haven't been here long but I noted your story about the shin splints and was curious if you've read the book Born to Run. Sounds similar to what you've experienced with going the barefoot route. I run as well and haven't gone for Vibrams yet but I feel as if I'll change soon.

I'm kona0727 on fitocracy but only joined a few days ago. Not a clue how it works just yet trying to figure it out :)