Forums are back in action! ×

It may be because of my superstitious Czech heritage, but I have an intuition that 2012 will be a year of great success. Actually, let me back track...it is not an intuition, it is a fact. I, Caitlin, am going to make 2012 a "great year" through hard work, determination and self discipline. Let's just say, 2011 was a year of transformation, in which, many lessons were learned (through many painful, and embarrassing tribulations...ironically self inflicted although unrealized at the time). Perhaps I let my perfectionistic tendencies get ahold of my ability to love myself, and therefore take care of myself. Perhaps, this is why I stopped eating healthy, stopped exercising, stopped standing up for myself. Is it possible to have your midlife crisis senior year of high school? I sure hope so! But as Shakyamuni, the Buddha's explains, "If one comes across a person who has been shot by an arrow, one does not spend time wondering about where the arrow came from...Rather, one should focus on immediately pulling out the arrow."

I am young, so it is time to move on and simply do it, or as my aunts would say, do it for the duck! As a freshmen in college, I want to savor every moment of the next four years. In order to get the most out of my experience, I need to be physically, mentally and spiritually fit. So I am starting my action plan here and now.

Physically: I am going to get at least seven hours of sleep every night, exercise for at least an hour six days a week (the best stress release), and focus honoring my body with healthy, nutritious meals instead of the fattening, free food offered on too many occasions in the dorm.

Mentally: I am going to treat every experience as a learning experience, and reawaken my love of learning, remembering how fortunate I am to have the gift of higher education.

Spiritually: I am going to meditate for at least ten minutes everyday, attend mass every Sunday, engage in the community through service projects (which I need to still find) and through the wonderful community of students around me (by making a conscious effort to set aside time for harmless mischief with my friends each week.)

Here is to being me: who I want to be!