Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there!

I've been lurking on Nerd Fitness since about March, and I finally decided to actually join up instead of just lurking.

I've been sorta working out, sorta healthy for a few years. I've been running for years - first with my Dad, now on my own - and it's something I love to do. I added strength training in a year ago - both bodyweight and kettlebell, and occasionally my Dad's borrowed dumbells - to work out, and I love it. 

I also love food, but I grew up in a family that didn't really cook at all. I've improved my cooking skills throughout University, and now that I'm living on my own for college without access to a full stove [i have a convection oven & a hot plate], I'm struggling to make healthy meals again.

My biggest struggles right now are keeping a consistent eating schedule as well as healthy habits, and continuing to work on strength. The majority of my classes fall right on lunch or dinner, so by the time I get home, I'm starving. Small changes are the way to go, so I'm collecting slow-cooker and prep-ahead recipes to start trying so that I have something healthy to eat when I get home. As for workouts, the struggle comes now it being harder to get access to heavier weights - the school gym is expensive, so until I get a job, I'm unfortunately out of luck buying the membership. 

But I'm not giving up - this is just another bump in the adventure.

Welcome to NF from another Ottawan ... Ottawanian ... Ottawese ... you know, guy from Ottawa.

That sucks about the gym. When I went to school, (many years and a few provinces away) the school gym was part of the tuition fees, so it was technically free. Still, there's lots of ways to keep those muscles working without a lot of money.

Are you jumping into the current challenge or do you have other plans for the boards?

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

really late reply, but those squish puzzle piece floor squares you can get at walmart etc that are for kid's room floors are fab to work out on :) gives you a bit of cushion if your doing anything on the floor, and they don't slip too much as well :)

Also: hello from the Trainyards area :D