Forums are back in action! ×

On January 4th 2014, I decided I'd try and get healthy again so I started paleo by going cold turkey and just throwing myself into it. I'd also started going to a bootcamp!

It was awesome and managed to lose 10 kgs/ 22 pounds by the time August rolled around. I was fitter then I'd ever been, I could run without stopping and I loved running.

Then out of the blue, my childhood best friend and love of my life Gypsy (18 years young cocker spaniel) broke her back and within 24 hours she was taken from me and I had to put her out of her misery and pain.

This obviously has had a drastic effect on me as I quit paleo soon after losing her, have gained 16 kilos/ 35 pounds in just over a year and my mind is all over the place.

I don't know how to start all over, she is my life and not having her here is ludicrous! I don't know what to do with myself. How do I eat healthy when I'm feeling miserable, depressed and very anxious?

One day at a time, one change at a time. It might be another year before you feel ready to go again at the same level as before, but just make a small change.

Monk 2, Assassin 0, Ranger 0

STR- 5

DEX- 5

STA- 4

CON- 1

WIS- 1

CHA- 0

Un studente de armizare della Maestro Fiore. Abrazare, daga, spada, azza, e lanza.

Additionally, practicing Italian rapier and side-sword. 

2 points away from lvl 3.

I think you should see a doctor.  Being depressed and anxious for a year (for any reason) calls for treatment.

Meanwhile, maybe it's time to consider getting another dog. There will only ever be one Gypsy, but if you need a critter in your life (as many of us do), the world is full of hopeful candidates.  You might consider adopting a different breed, to avoid undue expectations for the new dog.

The price of loving an animal is that you will usually outlive it.  Saying farewell to a beloved pet is a growing-up rite of passage for most of us.  You had 18 good years with Gypsy, which is great, it's more than most dog owners get.  It is unfortunate that her last day was so painful, but the rest of her life was undoubtedly very happy.  Your dog did her time and she wouldn't want you to spend the rest of your life mourning her.  You will always remember her, but you still have the love and care in your heart that may now go to another creature.

whether you get a new dog or not, you should go for walks.  If Gypsy's spirit is with you, she's probably thinking: "Can we walk now?  Please??  Why are you sitting there, the door is right here, don't you want to go?"

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Thanks for all the advice, I am seeing a therapist at the moment who isn't of much help so I'll have to go to someone who cares a bit more.

Thank you especially Raincloak!! Gypsy loved her walks so she could get out and have a sniff. She was blind so she liked sniffing things and just enjoying being outside with her people. I miss everything about her but especially having the responsibility of having a creature who depended on me life and limb.

Why she broke her back, I will never understand and will only ever be able to guess what happened. She is the most loving dog and has been there through the death of my dad when I was younger who died from cancer. She didn't deserve to have such an excruciating end.