Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy from Pennsylvania!

Good Morning All!

I have been lurking around NF since around Thanksgiving trying to absorb the information and network. I felt that now was the time to jump in and say hello! I really enjoy the emphasis here on the physical and mental aspects of living.

I am a 28 year old living in PA with my wife and dog just coming off of a major life goal of getting a master's degree this past fall. This is where my journey begins. My final class of my degree was fairly amazing as the teacher focused a large portion of the class on thinking about what we want next and how we are going to go about getting it.

Fitness Background: In the course of getting my degree the last few years I started to slack in the exercise department and found myself eating a good deal of fast food in between work and school. I have a naturally decent metabolism and from the time I stopped wrestling until last year I weighed around 140-145 without putting much effort in. This past year, between age, cubicle work, and poor habits, I jumped up to 152 which for me is very high. My wife and I decided to do an exercise challenge to keep us from balooning over the holidays. My initial goal was to healthily cut from 152 the day before Thanksgiving down to 145 by New Year's Eve. I figured that I would at least have navigated the holiday gauntlet without being less in shape. I found this blog, began my running in december (I am a chronic resolutioner when it comes to running) and I joined a Dojo.

I wrestled for 12 years but have not been on the mat since 2001 and have gotten quite rusty. I loved the sport but for those of you who have participated, it is very intense and can be quite draining. I missed the sport and realized that when exercising by myself I didn't get as good a workout and that I thrived in the environment of a wrestling team. Now that I was finished shool I had free time and decided to take up Jiu-Jitsu as a comparable sport to wrestling. It has been about a month now and I have become extremely aware how different the two sports are. I am liking it and it is refreshing to be an absolute novice all over again (being allowed to work from my back alone has been an enormous mental hurdle).

Fitness Goals - Stick with Jiu-Jitsu twice a week, and run 3/4 times a week. Extended running goal - Run a sub 20 minute 5K (PR is 22:53 5 years ago)

Life Goals - My wife just got a job a short commute from our home. We were waiting for this event before moving into the next stages of our lives. Now that she works closer to home we have decided to target this summer for taking the dive and trying to have our first child. I am extremely excited and feel that the time is right. In this between time I want to learn as much as possible and take several steps a week to increase my knowledge of the process / parenting / preparation and whatnot. This goes hand in hand with my fitness goal because thinking about having a child makes me want to be a healthy dad for them, I enjoy the fact that my own father at 57 can outrun me and I want to be a healthy fit dad who is able to be active with his children as well.

Sorry about the long post all! But I just wanted to give an idea of who I am and what my goals are. I look forward to meeting all of you!

-Ben

Guest guest4729

Hey! Another person from PA! Awesomeeee!

I used to live somewhat close to York but now I live in South Central PA closer to Carlisle and Mechanicsburg.

Welcome to the forums and welcome to the rebellion! I wish you luck with all your fitness goals! Make sure to stick around, post, ask questions, etc.!

welcome to the community! sounds like you are already making awesome changes and i love that you included your wife and future kiddo in your plans. i'm 27 and living with my bf for about 6 months now...suffice it to say kids are slowly but surely creeping into my head (though first we gotta do the whole get financially more stable and get married thing of course). glad you're here!

welcome to the community! sounds like you are already making awesome changes and i love that you included your wife and future kiddo in your plans. i'm 27 and living with my bf for about 6 months now...suffice it to say kids are slowly but surely creeping into my head (though first we gotta do the whole get financially more stable and get married thing of course). glad you're here!

Thanks EBM! The changes are going well but we will see where I am come May, that is usually my fizzle point when it comes to my exercise goals. I hear you about the stable and married thing, my wife and I just hit the one year anniversary and are finally in a place where we felt financially and emotionally ready to move forward. Good luck on your journey!