Forums are back in action! ×

Is half a pull up worth it?

Greetings all. I'm closing in on the end of my first week with both Operation: Slim Down & The Barbell Brigade. One of the main components of Barbell Brigade plan is pull ups; specficially, 5 sets of 5 (at least in the beginning). I can do maybe three sets of 2, then it's a struggle to get even close to one for the last two sets. Should I continue struggling to hit even 1 pull up in those last sets, as well as try to hit 5 in the first few sets? Would it be better to do pushups for a few weeks to build some strength, then go back to the pullups? I know that I can do pullups; at one point (not too long ago) I was able to do multiple sets of 10+ pullups. Thoughts?

Nope, a half isn't worth it: switch to negatives after you can't do any full pullups. What this is is this:

Jump up to the bar, then come down slowly. That's it. Yes, it works.

And don't over think it. Yes, you can still do pushups with them. Just do multiple sets of 5 like you're doing, then gradually do more. If you're at rep 3 and can't do it anymore, switch to negatives until you finish the set of 5. Or just do a set of 10 like that. Whatever you feel you can do.

Guest Snake McClain
Nope, a half isn't worth it: switch to negatives after you can't do any full pullups. What this is is this:

Jump up to the bar, then come down slowly. That's it. Yes, it works.

And don't over think it. Yes, you can still do pushups with them. Just do multiple sets of 5 like you're doing, then gradually do more. If you're at rep 3 and can't do it anymore, switch to negatives until you finish the set of 5. Or just do a set of 10 like that. Whatever you feel you can do.

This man's advice is sound. And correct.

Also you can try doing "inverted rows". Where...i went from like you doing 2 or 3 at a time and only 3 sets of such to now doing 10 at a time at three sets if i choose to do so, in about 3 months. I'm doing weighted ones. So when i started and couldn't do a set of 4 pull ups the negative and the inverted row saved my skin. *rap hands*

Actually, I disagree. Kind of.

Half a pullup IS worth it if you try really hard to get it and fail.

But I wouldn't do a ton of halves. I'd do what you can full, then when you get to your half and can't do anymore, try your hardest and and then switch to bands (or negatives, but I personally prefer bands).

Just like failing on a lift puts strain on you making your body want to adapt, so will failing on a pullup.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Actually, I disagree. Kind of.

Half a pullup IS worth it if you try really hard to get it and fail.

But I wouldn't do a ton of halves. I'd do what you can full, then when you get to your half and can't do anymore, try your hardest and and then switch to bands (or negatives, but I personally prefer bands).

Just like failing on a lift puts strain on you making your body want to adapt, so will failing on a pullup.

Yeah, I agree this. In some ways, when you do a half starting from the top, it's harder because it takes a lot of energy to stop your momentum and then go back up from halfway, versus doing a whole wherein your arms locking up at the bottom does more of that momentum stopping for you.

From the other responses, though, it seems like we are all in a rough consensus... do as many regulars as you can, then add in a few halves and/or negatives, and add-repeat over over time and you'll build it up.