Forums are back in action! ×

one meal a day science project.

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

So this week I have resorted to eating one meal a day only for the whole week (starting on monday). When I do eat it is just paleo (meat and veggies) and It is the same portion size as when I was eating three meals a day. And i drink loads of water as usual. My energy levels are still way up. I am not lifting in the gym as i have a back muscle injury i'm trying to recover from before i have my first day of wrestling training this weekend but I have been doing some body weight stuff every day. So curious...

Has anyone had any experience with trying something like this? If so how long can I expect to keep my energy levels up because right now I feel no difference (at five days) and I don't find myself craving stupid stuff.

Just wanted to see peoples thoughts.

Guest Snake McClain
No experience but to me that sounds probably just how humans got by the first 95% of our existence.

Oh yeah... DUH! I even used that argument when I talked to my mom about it the other day. Not sure how I didn't think of that.

Still...I wonder how long can I maintain my size. I'm at 190lbs right now. Only about...13% body fat. Need to keep my size. this is purely hypothetical of course. I'm sure it won't be long before i start withering away and need to start eating three solid meals a day. Just toying around.

Guest guest4729

I think I would die if I did this. Not literally, but I'd just be very...bleh. My extremely levels of boredom normally happen around the time I should be eating my meals. If I was only eating one meal a day I'd be like "WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS EXTRA 2 HOURS OF NOT PREPPING FOODZ?" and then I'd end up eating bad things. Bad BAD things.

More power to you for being able to do it

Guest Snake McClain
I think I would die if I did this. Not literally, but I'd just be very...bleh. My extremely levels of boredom normally happen around the time I should be eating my meals. If I was only eating one meal a day I'd be like "WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS EXTRA 2 HOURS OF NOT PREPPING FOODZ?" and then I'd end up eating bad things. Bad BAD things.

More power to you for being able to do it

I don't prep my food ever. Well...i make the next days lunch at dinner but its easy. chicken breast and veggies. no big deal. However i thought i wouldn't be able to do it but surprisingly its going well. really easy actually.

Haha yup Speedway

Sounds like we need a nerd fitness meet up. Pick your poison. Rock climbing? Canoeing? Drinking (off paleo of course). Fight club (just kidding). Or my favorite pro wrestling (watching not wrestling).

I don't prep my food ever. Well...i make the next days lunch at dinner but its easy. chicken breast and veggies. no big deal. However i thought i wouldn't be able to do it but surprisingly its going well. really easy actually.

Sounds like we need a nerd fitness meet up. Pick your poison. Rock climbing? Canoeing? Drinking (off paleo of course). Fight club (just kidding). Or my favorite pro wrestling (watching not wrestling).

You mean I have to feign some level of fitness? Haha

-R.C.M

Speedway #729 F&AM

www.ryanmercer.com

Soooo you're injured, at a relatively low(er) BF%, and cutting your caloric consumption by 2/3?

I really don't think that's a good idea dude. Can't recover without calories, and you need to keep protein intake up while dieting down in order to not lose LBM.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain

Really? So...hmm. well my back is almost 100% now. I feel great. And i am still eating. just only one meal a day. You're probably right though. as for right now I feel great. I'll eat normal starting tomorrow. I guess.

Yeah, if you can get enough calories in one meal then I'd say go for it, but that's pretty tough to do. That's why I have to eat 40 times a day (ok, 5 or 6), because I can't eat enough in one sitting to fuel the massive muscle growth I'm trying to achieve! Even if you're just trying to maintain, I'd say you're not going to do it on 2/3 fewer calories. I was anorexic for a while and that felt great too, for a while. Still not a great plan. Sorry.

Now go have a protein shake! ;)

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Guest Snake McClain
Yeah, if you can get enough calories in one meal then I'd say go for it, but that's pretty tough to do. That's why I have to eat 40 times a day (ok, 5 or 6), because I can't eat enough in one sitting to fuel the massive muscle growth I'm trying to achieve! Even if you're just trying to maintain, I'd say you're not going to do it on 2/3 fewer calories. I was anorexic for a while and that felt great too, for a while. Still not a great plan. Sorry.

This is making me wonder if i wasn't eating nearly enough when i WAS eating 3 times a day. I'm thinking...NO. hm. i don't count calories. ever. at all. I think i might need to start.

Guest guest4729

Anorexic? *gasp* But you're so gorgeous! I'm glad you've overcome that and prefer to be fit and awesome instead.

And so as not to derail the thread, I find it very interesting how some people are very for the "warrior" diet and others are very against it. I don't know much about it but I'd assume if he's grazing throughout the day before his one big meal that isn't too bad? Perhaps that's just me. Maybe the body sees it more as binging than anything else. Perhaps also sending it into starvation mode. If only I knew more about how the human body works at that level. It was briefly touched upon in The Paleo Solution but that's it.

Guest Snake McClain

i'm not grazing. i'm just doing one meal a day. and water. just cuz why not. but now i'm going to not do this. as of tomorrow like i said. So let's make a plan for me. I need to one anyway. Proper diet for Bruce Inness.

Lots of meat and veggies. But how much? I won't count calories so someone just tell me how many of every thing to eat. I weigh 190 now. would like to be 200. maybe a bit more if possible. Let's go ladies. Find me some answers cuz i'm too lazy to look myself. (also at work).

i'm not grazing. i'm just doing one meal a day. and water. just cuz why not. but now i'm going to not do this. as of tomorrow like i said. So let's make a plan for me. I need to one anyway. Proper diet for Bruce Inness.

Lots of meat and veggies. But how much? I won't count calories so someone just tell me how many of every thing to eat. I weigh 190 now. would like to be 200. maybe a bit more if possible. Let's go ladies. Find me some answers cuz i'm too lazy to look myself. (also at work).

Try thoroughly chewing the food and stop when satiated. I've got the warrior diet book somewhere around the house. If once a day doesn't work you can borrow it and give it a go

-R.C.M

Speedway #729 F&AM

www.ryanmercer.com

Guest Snake McClain
Try thoroughly chewing the food and stop when satiated. I've got the warrior diet book somewhere around the house. If once a day doesn't work you can borrow it and give it a go

Eh. I might consider it. Paleo is working for me for now so I may just keep at that. I just did this to screw around for a week.

Sounds like you got a bit o' reading to do brucey boy. Are you trying to gain muscle or lose fat? If you're trying to do both at the same time, look up calorie cycling...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
Sounds like you got a bit o' reading to do brucey boy. Are you trying to gain muscle or lose fat? If you're trying to do both at the same time, look up calorie cycling...

both at the same time. rather. redistribute. I don't NEED to gain ten lbs of muscle but that would be great. honestly if i can stay the same weight just be in the single digit bf% i'd be good. So if i can lose like 5% body fat and replace it with muscle i'd be happy.

You're going to get a lot of mixed views because there's a lot of mixed opinions out there. If what you are doing works for you just now, great! Just keep an eye on it so if your energy levels start to drop, you can rectify the situation. I'd maybe consider adding in a protein shake after a workout, just to give your muscles a wee boost, but that's up to you. :)

Hey Bruce. I have a lot of experience with intermittent fasting, especial the eat stop eat version promoted by Brad Pilon. Intermittent fasting is great and research shows it promotes longevity through calorie restriction. As long as you are eating nutrient dense foods you will be just fine. Think of it logically, prehistoric humans ate when they could to satiety and then walked, ran, lifted, struggled daily expending tons of calories. I know for me my energy is high when doing IF and I can eat one or two meals a day and feel great. If you try and stuff 5 small down my throat I get nauseous and I get digestive issues. When I eat only when I am hungry and eat nutrient dense food I feel great energy and I also am able to do my work out. Obviously I am not as fit as YOU are, nor trying to gain tons of muscle but I wanted to give you some long term feed back on the process. Rock on and hope your back feels better soon! Alex

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Guest Snake McClain
You're going to get a lot of mixed views because there's a lot of mixed opinions out there. If what you are doing works for you just now, great! Just keep an eye on it so if your energy levels start to drop, you can rectify the situation. I'd maybe consider adding in a protein shake after a workout, just to give your muscles a wee boost, but that's up to you. :)

i was just doing it to screw around for the week. wanted to try something to see what happens. as it stands i got the flu (two day bug ugh) and it cleared up literally the day of the first wrestling training day so i was relieved. back to eating normal now.

Hey Bruce. I have a lot of experience with intermittent fasting, especial the eat stop eat version promoted by Brad Pilon. Intermittent fasting is great and research shows it promotes longevity through calorie restriction. As long as you are eating nutrient dense foods you will be just fine. Think of it logically, prehistoric humans ate when they could to satiety and then walked, ran, lifted, struggled daily expending tons of calories. I know for me my energy is high when doing IF and I can eat one or two meals a day and feel great. If you try and stuff 5 small down my throat I get nauseous and I get digestive issues. When I eat only when I am hungry and eat nutrient dense food I feel great energy and I also am able to do my work out. Obviously I am not as fit as YOU are, nor trying to gain tons of muscle but I wanted to give you some long term feed back on the process. Rock on and hope your back feels better soon! Alex

I'm not sure how fit i am. I think i am doing okay but I'm not some awesome athlete. I do well in the gym with my personal numbers and i seem to do well with wrestling but i don't know how well i am as an overall fit person.

That said I liked the intermittent fasting. I tend to skip breakfast a lot anyway. and i used to only eat when i had time (70 hour work week job) and when that changed i was eating regularly but i'm not sure how often i'd do it. i'm thinking i might just not eat the day of wrestling training (sadly its only one day a week) and then after class get a bunch of veggies and a protein shake in. that way i'm going 24 hours from the previous nights dinner to the end of training. but this one meal a day thing is over. just screwing around because i get bored mentally and like to eff with crap in my life because i have no life so i do these things just for kicks and giggles. my energy levels never dropped though. not once. so i think that was an interesting result. I'd be interested to see if that carried on after another week or so. what would one meal a day really do to me. but i can't even try that now cuz i'm in training and get screw with my body.

p.s. that flu made me lose 7 pounds in two days. which sucks cuz i don't gain easy.

well good luck--p.s. chances are that 7 lbs is dehydration. Just drink plenty of water and take something for electrolytes like some chicken broth or emergenC and you should be back to normal in a few days.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!