Forums are back in action! ×

I was doing good.  I had committed to going to the gym 3 days a week and was several weeks into the SL 5x5 program and really enjoying it.  I noticed my left wrist was starting to hurt a bit when I bent it to do pushups, but didn't really pay it much mind...  Then yesterday I was doing Overhead Press and something in my wrist popped.

And now it hurts like a mother^#(@.  

I can still move it, just with pain.  Mostly if I turn it like trying to open a doorknob, it hurts the most.  I really don't want to injure it further, but I also don't want to lose the momentum and gains I've been having by working out steadily for the first time in my life.  I'm trying to think of what exercises I can still do without stress to my wrist.  Maybe work on legs and very lightweight, high-reps arms for a few weeks.  Until then, been looking online and people say to heat it in the morning, ice it at night and wrap it in-between?  

Depends what you did to it.  Can you get it checked out?  Popping followed by severe pain on twisting movement doesn't sound too good.

As for other exercises, focus on legs and core, and look into machines that don't require your wrists (some chest exercises involve pushing pads with your forearms, for instance).

Of course this happens the day after I go in for my doctor's appt.  I have an appt scheduled for Physical Therapy in 2 weeks for other issues, maybe I can move that up...

Thinking about focusing on Bodyweight exercises, or starting over with just the bar on SL and working on form until wrist feels better.  

What do you mean something popped?  Is it broken?  If there's even a chance it might be broken, please go immediately to the nearest ER, tell them what happened, and request an x-ray.  Do not wait 2 weeks or it could be messed up permanently.   There's ligaments and stuff there too, and you could have torn one.

Your forearm has two parallel bones in it, running from wrist to elbow.   They are attached on each side of the wrist.  When you turn your hand palm up, the bones cross over each other.   (Most mammals cannot do this trick; they usually have just one thicker bone in the foreleg, so can't rotate the foot very far.) 

Since you get pain from doing that, it sounds like you did something to the joint.  If not treated, you might permanently lose some mobility, to say nothing of strength.  Please go get it looked at right away.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.