Forums are back in action! ×

Path? What Path? Which Path? My Path...? (eeek, I have to find a Path!)

Hi all!

I'm a 30 year old female, and I thought I wanted to just lose weight. (a lot of weight -- 100+ lbs) and fitness was a side effect...

I've lost 39.5 lbs since 15th June this year, starting at 292.5 lbs, now at 253 lbs, mainly though making some major changes to my diet (I was a take-out and chips (what I would call crisps) kind of girl) and I've focused on more fresh, home-cooked meals, with good portions of fruit / vegetables / salad (there's a program I am following which helps) but also through taking up a Pole Fitness class once a week, I'm in my third 'term' (6 week runs) of beginners, and I love it, able to actually get off the ground when I 'pull up' even if I can't do a complete lift in proper form yet (this was a major issue for the first 12 weeks!) -- my instructor is awesome and supportive, as are my pole-mates.

In terms of my weight loss, I've been averaging about 2-2.5 lbs down a week, and in general I'm not hungry or dissatisfied with my diet. (that said, I have my moments!) My inital goal was to get to 210 lbs and then assess where I wanted to go from there, an interim target. I've been overweight for my adult life, so I'm really unsure about what 'size' I will be or want to be. I know the rate of loss can change, but I love me some good metrics!

Following lots of thinking over the last 4 months of this, I realised that I really wanted to get stronger, in particular to add a level of control to my body and how I move, that means I need to lose weight, but that's not my main goal anymore! It's a bit scary for me right now. How I'll figure this part out, I'm not sure, but I've been reading a lot of NerdFitness articles so it seemed like the right thing to do was to join and figure it out as I go along.  I am not stopping what I am doing, but I need to course correct to make sure I meet my goal of being stronger/fitter.

About Me / Current Habits

- I'm 5'11.5" which makes me pretty tall!

- I'm Irish (in the sense that I am from and live in Ireland)

- I'm allergic to nuts, so all the peanut/almond butter stuff is out for me.

- I had major food issues as a kid, and I'm still working through some of them -- be patient with me?

- I love Pole fitness, it's one of the few things I've done that makes me delighted and exhausted, and I laugh constantly as I fail, and then try again harder.

- I think I don't like running, I've consistently gotten to 5km runs from virtually nothing and lost all motivation to continue... maybe that'll get easier as I get fitter in general? I have been the last person to finish a 10km road race, they were reopening the road behind me as I ran/jogged/crawled... that kinda sucked, but I finished!

- I try to swim once a week, not a great swimmer, but doing 30-40 minutes doing slow lengths, will be working on this too.

- I walk a fair bit, happily walk 2 hours 2-3 times a week with a friend.

- I cycle (hybrid mountain/city bike) in and out of work most days, only 3km each way, but better for me than getting the bus! Imagine I will want to start adding miles to this!

- Nerd cred: I ran a computer society in college / I host a board games night monthly / I work in IT on the software side of things / I am pretty addicited to a mobile game right now!

Guilds? I have no idea yet, I'm going to do some reading and go from there...

Why am I joining? Because fitness really is the core of it, I don't want to get to being 'thin' and not strong, I want to be healthy, happy, and strong. I also need challenges, and new things to work towards, and I think this place is the right place.

Thanks!

Fio

PS. I did rename this topic about 8 9 times before I posted...

My Starting Point Thread