Forums are back in action! ×

Eye opening appointment

So for the last 2 years during my Dr. appointments I noticed my "textbook" blood pressure of 120/80 from my mid and late twenties start creeping up to 130/80, a few months later 135/85.  I didn't think much of it at the time, my doctor never talked to me about my blood pressure so I figured I was okay.  

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago I started "feeling" my heart beating through my chest, I swore while at rest sitting I could see it beat through my shirt.  I used a blood pressure cuff we have at work and was getting readings in the 140/90 to 150/95 range.  I called my doctor and they had me come in the next day where I had a 145/95.  After discussing that my eating and exercising has improved over the last year, thanks NF community, he wanted to try adding medication and see how far I could move the Mercury in 3 months.

36 on blood pressure medication, :nightmare:  WTF.  I eat pretty good, I run 5k races, I sleep 6-7 hours a night, I'm 6'0" 220lbs, wear a 36" pant.  When I tell people I'm trying to lose weight they ask me why, I look fit.  I joined NF almost a year ago because I wanted to get a little healthier just for myself, my self image.  Now my "Big Why" is to make my heart healthy again so I can watch my 2 beautiful daughters grow up, be there when they go to college, get married, have babies of their own.  I know it sound dramatic and 150/95 isn't a horrible blood pressure but it scares the bejesus out of me.

For my respawn I want to go back through all the Academy modules and start from scratch, resetting my character so to speak and starting the game over.  I'm even thinking of starting my NF "character" over and starting as a Level 0 Recruit and resetting my stat points, but I'll take time and think about that before I choose to or not to. 

• Like 1

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

Good time to respawn!  You've walked this road before, so you already know the way.  And you have a plan.  Excellent.

you might wanna consider sleeping more.  6-7 hours a night really isn't enough, especially if you have kids.   Your high BP/bpm are signs of stress, and the best cure for stress is rest.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

you might wanna consider sleeping more.  6-7 hours a night really isn't enough, especially if you have kids.   Your high BP/bpm are signs of stress, and the best cure for stress is rest.

That's the paradox, i have to be up between 5:30 and 6:00 to get myself and them ready for daycare.  I get them to bed by 8pm.  8pm-bedtime is the only time I have to work on fixing things, chores, wife time, and working out.  I've made it a point to be in bed by 11 so I have 3 hours a night to do those things.  I now only watch TV shows when I'm on the elliptical, not counting sports. 

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

32%
32%

I get 30-45 minutes for lunch so I usually eat and have gotten my colleagues to take a walk around the property, approx half mile, after we finish eating.  The rumor is that they are going to make a small fitness center for us so I may be able to run on a treadmill right after work, If they add shower facilities I can get to work early and get a run in before I start my day.

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

32%
32%

I have struggled with raising blood pressure since I was in my thirties too. Frightening , but at least you can feel it. I have no symtoms. It went down on Paleo at first, but then started creeping up again. My Dr put me on a herbal supplement that is helping.

Anyway just thought I'd give some suggestions that may help

Buy a machine at home so you can track.Pay attention to what makes it raise. I figured out I am not salt sensitive at all, but am sugar and caffeine sensitive

I have been trying to eat Potassium level at 4700 (the RDA)

stand  more than sit. 

walk 10,00 steps a day

have a walk that puts my HR in the cardio zone 

try not to let little things become big stressors, learn to enjoy life more,

try to incorporate movement throughout the day- short walks, or a few spurts of small exercises or stretches.

Good luck, sounds like you are doing great!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27