Forums are back in action! ×

Noob success + Soundtrack win

I just had to share this: I just completed, for the first time, the Recruit Workout!! Hooray and harumble!

The qualifier is that I completed each move on Novice setting, so:

3 x 10 incline pushups (using the kitchen counter)

3 x 15 chair squats

3 x 10 one arm dumbell rows, each hand (5kg/11lbs)

3 x 20 assisted split squats

3 x 15 second plank

I substituted the normal warm up with my 30 minute walk home from work, remembering to warm up my arms as I went, and then jumped straight in. Considering that when I started with NerdFitness two weeks ago just the warm up itself was enough to make me want to surrender, I'm tallying this up as a big win.

Here's the part I really love, because it's the kind of coincidence that can only happen in real life because if you saw it in fiction you'd think it contrived: during my walk and my workout I was listening to the Little Shop of Horrors film soundtrack, and it happened during my last set it was up to the final confrontation with Audrey II, so I got to reach my first milestone with those great triumphant strains in my ears as Seymour and I had synchronised victories. OK, maybe Audrey II was probably a greater foe than my idleness, but it was perfectly fitting nonetheless!

I'm very, very new to fitness in general and the whole concept of enjoying working out. But now that I have tasted the sweet elixir of success I will become unstoppable!

• Like 3

Thanks, guys! :D :D

I find a lot of musicals are really good for walks/workouts since there tends to be a nice balance of power ballads, serenades and big crescendos. So you get all worked up, then you tone it down a notch, then a big push and so on.

Yep I figured if Sam and Frodo can do it in six months I can manage it in a year. That's about 7km (4.3mi) per day. Once that's done I'll try get there sooner next year. I'm all about beating my personal best, especially if my personal best isn't all that impressive!